Oh Deer... *graphic*... not really...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Brunty_Farms, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Thought I would share my gun season harvest... even though the big one got away... I still ended up with two. I tracked a 10 point Sunday, was on blood the whole way, and the darn thing was still alive. I let it sit about four hours before I started to track it. I'm sure it will be coyote food... but here are some pics of my food! I have some chilling for tonight... I have a choice tenderloin... or a roast? What do you think?

This is the fawn that was harvested. I got her along with the doe she was with...

Sorry if it's too much... but I rely on deer as a main source of our meat. Along with chickens and turkeys of course!

The last pic is a few steaks and a couple of roast, the rest is going to the processor in the morning to be made into burger, sausage, hot dogs, jerkey, sticks, and trail baloney. YUM!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Your hunting season must be a lil different then ours around here we arent allowed to hunt the fawns.. And I dont think by hunting season here they still are fawns... ( Just so you know I am not a hunter but my whole family does so I fully admit I dont know much about it.. ) It does look yummy I bet that tenderloin is sooo tender and juicy

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  3. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    YUMMMMMM! Deer Loin.

4. Brunty_Farms

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    I'm not sure... here in Ohio though we have no regulations on what is taken except for the fact your only allowed one buck.

Anything over 3 inches is considered a buck. This year we can take I believe 6 deer... depending on what region your in.

5. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Was it a spine shot?

6. kooltex

kooltex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    NE Tx
    mmmm I want some!

I wish i had a place to hunt!!! [​IMG]

7. Brunty_Farms

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    No, she was running away from me and I hit her in the side... and what you see is the exit wound. Good shot right! LOL... purely luck!

I shot the mom first and the fawn was running away... got them both with 3 shots... I missed the first shot. It's not easy hitting them on the run.

8. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:In Ohio, "if it's brown it's down". I shot one a few years ago that fit in a 48 quart cooler. Best tasting deer I've ever eaten.

9. Brunty_Farms

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Quote:In Ohio, "if it's brown it's down". I shot one a few years ago that fit in a 48 quart cooler. Best tasting deer I've ever eaten.

LOL... must be a state wide motto!! Hahah.... The fawns do taste the best. Man what great meat, knocks the socks off of commercial beef anyday!

Even though I can't wait until I get a fence up so I can raise a few beef cows!

10. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    [​IMG]
    3rd picture would make some awesome jerky,
    grind fine, season , sit , form into strips and dry,
    oh wy oh why did my hubby get a deer this year,

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by