Oh DEER!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chicken Salad, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Chicken Salad

Chicken Salad Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    Frederick, Maryland
    Our property has two houses on it and the woodlot is down the mountain a bit next to the other one...so I knew when I left work to go down there and pick up some wood for last night. I parked by that house and went around to the back, started to pick up wood when there was a heck of a lot of clatter, and there was a girl deer (DOE!) who jumped out from behind the shed and she bounded maybe 20 yards down the hill, stopped and turned to look at me. I kept doing what I was doing thinking she'd just go on but she just stood there looking hard at me.

This made me curious so I looked around and there was a 8-point buck standing there about 4 yards from her - and HE just stood there looking at me. If a deer could have a funny look, these two could be poster children for it. I just went on about my business and the buck started kicking around in the dirt and the doe just looked real uncomfortable.

I couldn't help but think it was like surprising passionate teenagers in the back of a Buick. I laughed out loud so hard...and the deer both looked all exasperated at me like "What?"

2. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    LOL ....thats funny....hee hee hee

3. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    Heck I would be wondering were my gun was [​IMG] j/p

4. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Bless ....don't you just adore deer...and not just for eating....

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    hehehehe that is cute. I find that deer are very humorous animals to watch and also very relaxing.

6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I live on an island with Lower Columbia Whitetail Deer, which are a federally endangered species.

The little vandals.... we can do nothing to harm, molest or discourage them. Our gardens really take a beating in the winter. It's amazing to live amongst them; but gets tired after your trees die from having the bark gnawed off.

7. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Yesterday I ran over to a neighbors to give him a piece of his misdirected mail.

I ran across the road and into his driveway and suddenly me and at least 10 deer were standing face to face all [​IMG]

They bolted and all I could think was Wow that is too many deer in that herd for the open land here!

My attitude toward deer changed when I moved to the country! [​IMG]

But, they still are awful cute to watch especially when they flash ya as they bound away.

8. thewobsers

thewobsers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    near toledo ohio
    i too have a totally different attitude toward deer now that i am in the rurals instead of in town. they are neat to watch but they have killed several of our trees by either rubbing the bark or stripping the branches off.
    last year my husband dreamed of some deer meat but it never happened, well so far in 1 month he has been there twice right after a deer/car accident and neither party wanted the deer meat so he took the meat for our family... at least the poor things are not going to waste on the side of the highway.
    we have them pretty thick out here and see lots of hunter orange walking around during hunting season but rarely see anyone successful at getting any.

9. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Our neighbors have several herds of deer and elk on their property daily. They cover all of their favorite trees with sheep fencing around the trunks to keep them from eating them. It works well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by