Oh Dingle, we love you to death!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ChickenPeep, Sep 21, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    This happened to me yesterday. I have 7 chickens. Dingle is a sweet Speckled-sussex that anyoe could love! [​IMG]

I was getting out of school early to go to my volleyball game. My mom texted me ; "Hey! Good luck at volleyball! I let the chickens free range, Dingle is still out. Im going to go to Cassidy's game so i'll miss yours. " (Cassidy is my sister) When she said "Dingle is still out", i thought she meant she was currently trying to get him back in, and thought nothing muhc of it.
    After my game, (if your wondering, yes, we won!) I called her to let her know i was on my way home. She told me that she saw 2 huger monarch caterpillars. ( i love monarch caterpillars!) That was good news to me, but what she said next was not. " I had to leave Dingle out because i was in a huge rush to go to cassidy's game." [​IMG] I about froze. I knew there were huge hawks everywhere where we live. I almost started crying. Does a volleyball game really mean more to you than our sweetest chicken? Dingle is the closest chicken to the wonderful Rhode island rooster Peep that unexpecdedly and tragically died on us last year. Peep was killed by a hawk. The only good news was that my mom and Cassidy were headed over to the chickens at that very time.
    As they were driving up to my grandma's house where the chickens live, a huge hawk flew away from the coop. "Cassidy, im sorry. Accidents happen some times." said my mom. They hugged and sadly walked to the coop. then, " COCK-ACOKA-DEEDLE-AWWWWWWW!!!!!! Dingle's unmistakable crow!! It sounded loud and angry as if to say: WHERE WERE YOU?!?! I ALMOST BECAME LUNCH FOR MR. HAPPY FLAPPY WINGS OVER HERE!!! They happily walked over and Dingle happily danced his way over! All the chickens seemed to be happy!
    As i rode my bike up the long cul-de-sac, i counted 1... 2.....and 3 roosters!! Dingle is okay!! I ran up and hugged him all over. I love you dingle-ingle!
    That was very close, and i will make sure it never happens again! Next time, i'll leave volleyball! Anything to save my chickens!!
    Here's Dingle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  2. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Yay Dingle [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. melodie_a

melodie_a Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    Sanford, NC
    Glad he is ok. He is really pretty... or I guess I should say handsome.

4. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Quote:Haha thanks! He's a sweet little man!

5. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    What a handsome man! We have two young SS roos, and they have great personalities, but are so shy about being petted. Glad your sweet boy was okay!

6. Sonic Pug

Sonic Pug Chillin' With My Peeps

I love the name Dingle! I'm so glad he is ok and has someone who really cares about him to look after him [​IMG]

7. [​IMG] oh he is awesome looking!

Good boy Dingle! go find him some berries and call him "Dingle Berry" [​IMG]

8. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Oh, he is handsome. LOVE his comb and wattles.

9. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Quote:Hhaha thanks! We named him after Dingle Ireland!

10. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    OMG, I am soooo getting one for my Speckled Sussex pullets!!! Aren't they just the sweetest??? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by