Oh Dishes, Dishes, Goodbye Washing!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Bantimna, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Oh yeah! I am surely huffed with dishes, at last we have a dish-washer! Bless my mother's heart and soul! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  2. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    [​IMG] They're nice to have (both)!

I was thrilled a few eons ago when I got my first long-awaited one, a portable, but when moving shortly after that, my FIL, who insisted on hauling the dishwasher, didn't tie it down and it fell off the trailer, destroying it. [​IMG] He was horrified. I just figured [​IMG] oh well back to handwashing lol, and didn't at all expect what they did (especially since he was just trying to help me move) but FIL & MIL went that day and bought a new one to replace it. [​IMG]

3. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    What? You mean that having a dishwasher means we don't have to wash dishes? Shhhh. don't tell my son. We always have dishes we don't trust in the dishwasher (like mugs that I love...don't want to risk the design getting washed off. Also the measuring cups, for the same reason.)

4. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    When I was a teenager, my family finally got a dish washer!
    Then in 1980, I moved into this house, with no dish washer!!
    And I have had to wash dishes by hand ever since!!
    [​IMG]

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've lived for years both with and without one. Never again without. Everything but cast iron goes in there, whether it's supposed to or not.

6. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    The only time I've ever had a dishwasher was when I lived with my ex boyfriend; he had one. Honestly, I don't get the big deal. I found it easier to wash the dishes as I used them and then put them away, vs. rinsing them, loading them, using electricity to run the washer, then unloading them all. Half the time the dish I wanted was still sitting in the dishwasher waiting for a full load when I would have otherwise already washed it long ago.

That's just my opinion though, if a dishwasher makes things easier for you Bantimna, then I'm very happy for you. [​IMG]

A side note on my ex and the dishwasher: He grew up with money and is wealthy. When I told him this was the first time I ever had a dishwasher, he said "Eww! That's gross, so your dishes were always unsanitary?!" Man, did that P' me off. We've been hand washing dishes for eons, and he thinks my hand washed dishes are "unsanitary"?!? Jerk. [​IMG]

7. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I love the dishwasher. I will never be without one.

Except for delicate stuff, everything goes in.

Congrats on your new best friend, Bantimna!!

8. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    When we finally moved into the city 1974. The house that we bought had the first dishwasher. I was so excited. My grandmother kept telling us how we were going to fight over who's turn it was to load or on load it any. We managed to proved her wrong back then. My older bothers were nearly out home and on their own by then, and my younger sisters were rarely asked to help around the house, but I loved the dishwasher. It's a blessing that it came with the house. My grandmother was always going on about how my cousins would fight about who's turn it was to load or unload the dishwasher. They had never had to wash all the dishes for a family of 9 day in and day out. The cousins had a family of 4 and never lived without a dishwasher. I am still grateful to have a dishwasher. I must admit that I am not crazy about emptying the clean dishwasher, but I don't mind filling it back up. If I lived by myself I'd don't know whether or not I would use it. And yes the dishes are just as clean either way. I can still remember standing and washing dishes for what seemed like hours as a kid.

9. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Good point. Maybe it's because I live alone that doing dishes by hand isn't a big deal. Perhaps if I had a whole family here, it would be more beneficial to have one.

10. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i will always have one with a sani-cycle.. great for canning jars.. they are sterile and still hot. Plus you can hide the mess left from a dinner party. i love them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by