Oh god, arriving on a holiday?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickensbythesea, Feb 11, 2011.

1. chickensbythesea

chickensbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    I just realized when lurking elsewhere, my chicks are supposed to come in over the holiday weekend. With everyone else's chicks dying in transit, I'm about ready to rip my hair out.

Somebody please tell me the post office won't mess this up. DH just shakes his head [​IMG]

2. vebyrd36

vebyrd36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    Well mine arrived with just one dead in the box.

3. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Which Holiday weekend? The post office doesn't close for all holidays.

4. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    The distribution center here called me for pick up on a Sunday. I asked when they close and the lady told me never. Distribution centers are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, all year long.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That^^^

Your local post office may be closed, but mail is still being routed.

6. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    It doesn't hurt to call them and let them know you're expecting an order of chicks. Ask what they do if they come in on a holiday or a Sunday. I know that some hatcheries will push up a hatch date to avoid holidays.

7. chickensbythesea

chickensbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    It's President's Day, so I think the local carrier office is closed.

A couple people from my area couldn't even get a straight answer on what airport our mail gets routed through, since we're about halfway between Boston and Providence, or I'd be harassing the airport to let me pick them up there.

I wouldn't even have ordered them this early, but the last few winters have been SO mild. STRESS!

8. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    I too realized that I had ordered mine to arrive on the 21st and that it was a holiday after I placed the order. I am really worried too. I was going to call the Post Office and see if I will still be able to pick them up. There is no delivery that day but for sure they are still open I am thinking. I would like to pick them up from the airport but don't know how to get to them before they transport them to my local office. Good Luck to you and your chickies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by