Oh god help me is this bumble foot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by okiemamachick, Jan 24, 2015.

1. okiemamachick

okiemamachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Hello I purchased a pair of welsummers today a hen and and rooster and when the lady was loading the hen up I saw something on the top of her foot I thought it was a bit of poo/bedding stuck to her toe and now that I'm home (two hours away) I see this! What should I do?!?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    That is a horrible case of bumble foot!
    Editing myself bc I was over reactive and it was wrong. I am truly sorry.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  3. okiemamachick

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    I don't know how to treat it :( should I cull the rooster too he's in a small holding cage with her now. Our other chickens have came up to the crate they are in and visited them (befor I realozed) are they now on danger?

4. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    I would not take them back I would treat them for it. The reason I say don't bring them back is because no animal should have to live like that and I would be happy to take them and give them a loving home.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  5. okiemamachick

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    I was thinking the same thing like "how could I send them back if those people are not caring for them?" How do u treat it?

6. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    There is lots of thread on how to treat it.

7. okiemamachick

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Guys I don't know if I can do surgery on her foot. I've been watching videos on how to cut out the infection but hers is so big I don't know if I'd be helping her or maiming her. I'm not too squeamish I just don't want to goof up. Also if I keep her is it like some diseases where now I'm going to have bumblefoot on my property? I don't want to jeopardize the girls I already have. I've NEVER dealt with this before

8. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    To set your mind at ease...bumblefoot is not something that can be passed from one chicken to another...it is due to an injury or a foreign object that has infected the foot,,,some chickens will get an injury from jumping down from a height ( especially heavy breeds )...the problem is a staph. infection...if left unattended...it can lead to death..not everyone recommends surgery...

I would suggest you look for alternative treatments if you do not wish to perform surgery....some advocate daily soaks in a warm water and betadine solution...and then after some days of this treatment they will use tweezers to pull the "plug" of infection and treat with antibiotic powder and dress the foot.

I personally prefer surgery...I wrap the chicken in a towel...cover the head of the chicken...and I talk to the patient throughout...once their head is covered..they relax...it can take up to an hour to complete the surgery...BUT...within two days of the surgery the chicken is so much better...change the dressing after 48 hours...vetwrap is great to use for the foot.

Whatever you decide...good luck!

2 people like this.
  9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If that spreads up inside her leg it could kill her from my understanding.

10. okiemamachick

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma

Ok so you see the pic and still recommend I try and cut out the kernel. Should I remove all the black stuff? Antibiotic powder where do I get that? As a matter of fact where do I get oral antibiotics? Should I do several days of soaking then attempt surgery? I even considered giving her an entire bath but I don't want to stress her. Should I bring her in while she ailing right now I have her in a secluded run with the rooster she came with. I was planning on doing that anyway by means of a quarantine till I knew all was clear as far as other diseases are concerned.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by