Oh God, I feel so bad!!!!

chickensducks&agoose

Songster
11 Years
Aug 28, 2008
New England.. the cold part.
2 ducks were broody, and had sat for 5 weeks. on saturday, both ducks emerged from under our low shed (we couldn't ever see the nest) with 5 babies! We were thrilled. Anyway, I moved the whole family into the spare coop, to keep them safe. today (Tuesday) I went out to the shed, and on the ground about 5 feet away was a flat baby duck. dead. It must have hatched somehow since Saturday (I listened under the shed on sunday just in case) and tried to go find it's mama... and been killed by our other ducks, or just died. I feel so sad for that little duck, and however many other baby ducks that I might have killed by taking the mama ducks away.
hit.gif

Aw I'm sorry Chixduxngoose... Those things just happen. You meant well. It's experience though, so next time they want to set under there, just make good n sure you check it out really good before you move her. Don't be hard on yourself, and be thankful for the babies you got to safety. It's probably pretty odd for one to hatch late like that anyway.
Chin up... you did fine.
frow.gif

our shed is like 5" off the ground, and it goes way back. I couldn't see anything at all, and I just assumed (ugh) that they were all hatched, and that any eggs left there were dead or infertile/rotten. it died trying to find it's mother. I just feel terrible. I put the mama duck back out there, incase there is another late straggler, but I can't imagine how anything hatched since it's been cold at night, and nobody has been keeping the nest warm.

I think if momma came on out with the babes, she had most likely given up on the remainder of them also. I think you should just concentrate on the ones you have, and try to forget the one you lost. I wouldn't enclose the bottom of the shed either, because it sounds like a nice safe place for her to set when she goes broody.

Back
Top Bottom