1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Oh good grief!! Eggs in the bushes now!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Christie Rhae, May 20, 2011.

1. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Because of feather picking/boredom I now let my chickens roam my yard as often as possible. Yesterday I collected an uncommonly low number of eggs from the nestboxes. Then noticed 4 more eggs hidden in the bushes by my house. Great!! Now I gotta do a Easter egg hunt everyday to collect eggs. *Exasperated sigh*

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Do you have fake eggs in the nestboxes?

3. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Quote:that doesn't really work with free range chickens. I don't even know why I have nest boxes! lol

I have a crate in the rabbitry I keep alfafa in--I always find eggs there, and in the garage on the bottom shelf my hubby has a bucketful of rags... oh and once in awhile they will lay in the seat of the lawn mower. It is an egg hunt every day for us [​IMG] We get 2-3 eggs in the nest boxes and about 12 in other random places. lol.

4. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    I dunno, I have 25 free ranging chickens but I do have nest boxes in which they lay their eggs. It is rare that they don't lay in them. I may be missing something from your post.

5. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Mine did this for a while and then I kept them locked up for a couple of days so they had to go in the nesting box. They caught on and now they always lay in the box.

6. ngamtnman

ngamtnman Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    North GA
    I had this same problem earlier this year. They found a brush pile and started laying eggs in it. So I kept them locked up for about a week and they all lay in the boxes now except for one red sex-link from time to time. I think she just gets too far away from the coop and just drops it where ever shes at. The rest will go back to the coop, even if they have been out for a few hours.

7. Fritatta

Fritatta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    I have an EE that wants to lay outside - and I regret the fact that I found her nest and mixed it up. I should have just let it an collected her egg there. Cause now she's found another place that I can't find!

8. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:lol i have that problem. Still haven't found the hiding spot. If i let them out to early i usually get about 5-7 eggs but if they are locked in till 2-3 i get about 9-10 eggs. We are on 5 acres with pine trees on 2 sides and chaparral all over the place. I dont go bush diving.

9. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Happened again today, 11 eggs in the nest boxes and 4 in the bushes. Lol. I did think of making that spot un cozy for nesting but maybe I will leave it. The spot is right next to the house and I know where to find them.
    I have 16 chickens and 8 nest boxes. They have been locked up using the nest boxes their whole egg laying career. Only 2 weeks since they started "ranging" and already the are getting all independent. Lol

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

All of my chickens range freely, but the pullets and hens still come back to ONE of the coops to lay their eggs. They've been switching coops of late. A favorite spot was taken over by TWO broody hens, so the other ladies decided to try this or that other coop.

I did find a nest used by a lot of the ladies over a period of time. Sneaky things! They were laying between a wire fence and a tilted pile of trash plywood. There was a nice hollow where they were hiding their hoard. After I removed all the eggs, I've never seen another in that spot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by