Oh Goodie, just won Silkie eggs auction...Need help this time

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TerryQui, Jun 14, 2011.

1. TerryQui

TerryQui Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Columbus Ohio
    I just lost most of my eggs in my last hatch. I believe I have the humidity too high at the end. I did get two entirely adorable chickens out of it.
    In all my research, I have decided that Silkies are my greatest desire in chickens. The coop that we are building is an indoors coop and there will be plenty of room in there for the silkies and the two easter egger/rhode island red mixes (if those two turn out to be hens).
    SOOOOOOOO I am setting my cleaned incubator back up. My eggs will be here Friday or Saturday.
    I have successfully incubated green cheek conures and button quail.
    The only thing that I did different with my chicks was to raise the humidity at the end, as I read somewhere that I needed to. Well that was bad information and I lost all but two.
    So this time I won't do that.
    I will take all your good advice that you can give me. I want these silkie babies so bad. Thanks so much!!

My two babies. No names yet.
    [​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Im sorry about you losing a bunch of chicks but raising humidity in the end ( last 3 days) is what you are supposed to do.

day 1-18 temp 99.5-102
    humidity 30-40%

day 18-21 temps the same
    humidity 60-70%

what were yours? Did you calibrate your thermometer and hygrometer to make sure they were accurate??

3. TerryQui

May 23, 2011
    Columbus Ohio
    My humidity was 80 percent, as that is what I thought I had read.
    Other then that, I don't know what could have gone wrong.
    I had just hatched a green cheek conure a month ago in there.

4. TerryQui

May 23, 2011
    Columbus Ohio
    I will add that I have never raised the humidity before on anything and I keep it at about 55 to 60 the whole time.

5. Ceinwyn

Ceinwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Southeast Ohio
    Sorry to say but some of the most important factors in hatching healthy chicks are going to be out of your hands with shipped eggs.
    The heridity and diet of the breeding stock and impropering handling through the post.
    You have experience with incubating and it doesnt sound as if you did anything wrong last time.
    Your humidity was a little high at the end but your correcting that so you should get better results.
    Remember though, ultimately your only getting out of the egg what went in.
    Bad genetics, older/too young hens, older rooster and improper diet in the laying hen will override anything you do so try not to be to hard on yourself if you get less than stellar results.

6. TerryQui

May 23, 2011
    Columbus Ohio
    I am aware of the risks. I have hatched button quail a couple times that I got off ebay. I just could not find these locally anywhere. I will just pray. [​IMG]

7. TerryQui

May 23, 2011
    Columbus Ohio
  8. TerryQui

May 23, 2011
    Columbus Ohio
    Quote:All I have is an outdoors thermometer that has a temp in the top and humidity in the bottom. Is there a different thermometer recommended?

9. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Try to aim for about 30-40% humidity during the first eighteen days, and then up it to 50-60% for the last three days. I did that with shipped silkie eggs and my results were:
    36 eggs: 14 infertile or bloodrings.
    22 eggs: three quitters about day 10
    19 eggs: 7 babies, with all the rest pipped or rocking, but then a massive power outage came and I lost the rest. But I consider that a success. For a first hatch, it was actually great, statistically speaking.
    Don't go looking about on all the websites, trust the people on here who have had years of experience, and have had every problem in the book. Sonew, for instance. Listen to her.

10. TerryQui

May 23, 2011
    Columbus Ohio
    Quote:Ok thank you. Sorry you lost them in a power outage.
    We have one of those pluggins for a cigarette lighter that you can plug a cord into. When I was incubating button quail, we had a power outage and I put that in the van and ran an orange lead cord to it, to keep my incubator warm. It worked and a few hours later, the electricity was back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by