Oh Gosh chicks gone nuts!

MeowCluckBark

Chicken Lickin' Good
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
Boise, ID
I have 9 chicks in the brooder right now. 3 are just shy of 3 weeks and 6 are just shy of 2 weeks. I usually give them occasional plain greek yogurt mixed with their feed or a little scrambled egg now and then. I have and offer grit to them periodically too just in case I pop in something extra they'd need it for. So I filled up the grit bowl and put it in and then came back with a small bowl of cooled steamed jasmine rice. It's the sticky method of prep so the pieces are just tacky enough to stick to anything but firm inside. I made a bit too much for my daughter and myself in the steamer so I thought I'd give the girls some for fun. I know it isn't really super nutrition but it's a change of pace right?

So I put in the bowl and sit and watch while they come up to inspect the white stuff. They go crazy grabbing pieces and running to corners to keep the others from eating their treat. It's not like there wasn't enough for all 9. It was a small cafe bowl and only half full but still plenty of rice for 9 chicks. They treated it like it was amazing bugs that were some sweet delicacy! I can still hear them in there going nuts over the stuff! Of course it's hysterical when they wipe their beaks to get it unstuck too. I have no idea why chickens want whatever is in their friends mouths even when there is ample of the same thing sitting right in front of them, but they do.

I can't find my camera card. I was going to take a few pics.
sad.png

After seeing how very much my cockatiels love rice, I'm not surprised. Anything the cockatiels love, the chickens love too. They are so funny! To leave a whole bowl of food to steal something someone else has is just so silly, they're a blast to watch!

I finally took the bowl away after about 2 hours. They were absolutely hysterical to watch though. I think they will sleep well tonight.

Back
Top Bottom