Exotica

C'est La Vie
Aug 16, 2015
Baldwin Park, California
My Coop
My Coop
Ahhh!!

Please help!!

I bought three chicks today from a breeder/very small hatchery and I took one of them to the bathroom because she had a tiny little bit of poop
crusted on her little toe so while I was filling up the sink with warm water she ended up eating a strand of my long hair from the floor. She ate about
half of it before I noticed.. I tried to pull it back out gently but it was stuck. Logic told me to get a pair of scissors quick and snip the hair as close to her beak as possible.
I believe she swallowed the rest which was about half a centimeter left.

She was born on Friday so she's tiny. Will she just pass it? Or will it get stuck in her intestines and.. oh my gosh.
I ended up getting the poop off of her toe and she seemed completely fine when I returned her to the brooder, even drinking water with gusto.
She's a Cream Legbar and I'd hate to lose her
hit.gif

Im honestly not sure, but chickens eat all sorts of things when they are out and about, so i would not worry unduly - i would imagine it will digest the hair without too much of a problem

Over an almost decade now of raising chickens, I've seen them eat some very improbable things with no ill effect, including hardened silicone seal, a bandaid, a large lizard, and I don't know how many cubic feet of pine shavings. A human hair would be insignificant to a chick's digestive system.

What you want to do its make sure it's eating plenty and drinking lots of water. It'll be fine. It wouldn't hurt to include a little chick grit with your chicks' food to be on the safe side. That way, their tiny gizzards will churn like little garbage disposers.

Im honestly not sure, but chickens eat all sorts of things when they are out and about, so i would not worry unduly - i would imagine it will digest the hair without too much of a problem

Over an almost decade now of raising chickens, I've seen them eat some very improbable things with no ill effect, including hardened silicone seal, a bandaid, a large lizard, and I don't know how many cubic feet of pine shavings. A human hair would be insignificant to a chick's digestive system.

What you want to do its make sure it's eating plenty and drinking lots of water. It'll be fine. It wouldn't hurt to include a little chick grit with your chicks' food to be on the safe side. That way, their tiny gizzards will churn like little garbage disposers.

Haha, no she is not going to die, she will be fine.

Thank you everyone for your responses! I actually do have chick grit in their brooder at all times for them to eat as they please. Last night I put some Save-A-Chic vitamins in their water and I'm happy to report she is still alive! I was seriously freaking out yesterday because when I gently pulled om the hair to take it back out, she started to close her eyes! That's when I was like - nope, gotta snip it. I'm a worry wart haha

Back
Top Bottom