Oh great..I think I have a pregnant bunny..

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PippyChicken, Aug 22, 2010.

1. PippyChicken

PippyChicken Songster

Jul 2, 2009
    AL
    I don't know ANYTHING about bunnies so what do I do?? Things were getting so bad that the cage came undone but we got them so what do I need to do?

2. Akane

Akane Crowing

Jun 15, 2008
    Confused. Did you just get a pair of rabbits or have one escape to the other cage or what? Do you have any idea when she was bred? Normally you put a nest box in, usually full of hay and sometimes shavings, at around 28 days from when they were bred and then they kindle at around 31-32 days. If you don't know the date it makes it hard though. After around 2 weeks you can attempt to palpate the doe and feel the kits. Anywhere from a week to a few hours before they give birth they will pull fur and build a nest. Hopefully anyway but occasionally a confused doe doesn't accomplish that step or tries to do it after they've been born instead. If you find kits born out of a nest you have to put them in a nest or they will die. Does will not move their kits and they do not lay with them to keep them warm. They have to go in a nest of some type which will contain them so they can't crawl away and keep them warm.

3. PippyChicken

PippyChicken Songster

Jul 2, 2009
    AL
    Quote:I got them when they were around 5 weeks old unsexed. The cage came undone because of they were being "roudy" It was yesterday,but they have been acting strange the past few days.I will put her in her own cage with a box or something like that for her

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    OOh dear.. You should have had the birds and bees talk with her sooner!

5. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    How old are they now?

6. PippyChicken

PippyChicken Songster

Jul 2, 2009
    AL
    Hmm...I dont really know..

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've always been told there is no such thing as one rabbit.....

8. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

hubbie along time ago had a standard hutch, 3 feet off the ground, and a bunnie that was supposed to be male, 3 years after he first got it suddenly became fat- SHE was preggers somehow...

never found out how- unfortunately she was a poor mother.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by