Oh Great!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by herefordlovinglady, Jul 7, 2010.

1. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    I am getting ready to leave home this morning for work and what do I see? Three of my hens have found out they can get out of the 1/4 acre fenced area they have free range to. [​IMG] Yep, they flew over the fence. My games and roos free range everywhere, but my 8 "princess" hens only have the fenced area and their coop at night. Well they decided it was field trip time. If I were at home this would not be so concerning, but I am at work and cannot keep an eye on them. Is there a way to keep them in with out having to lock them in the run? I doubt it, but was hopeful for a solution anyway. Hopefully the two roos will do their job and keep them protected. [​IMG]

2. rrgrassi

rrgrassi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Royse City
    You could clip thier wing feathers.

3. vstoltzfus

vstoltzfus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Lancaster County, PA
    I thought the same thing--clip a wing. It would be easier than extending the fence!

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Mine have recently discovered a way to exit the back yard and meander ever so casually down the side of the house to range about in the front yard.

They're still safe there; the entire acre is fenced and my section of it is only about a third of the total property. But it was funny to see first the ducks, who discovered a dribble of water from a sprinkler and DESTROYED the sod beneath it, then the chickens scratching happily next to my driveway.

I had to run home on my lunch hour today, and there were two pullets and a duck in the front yard. They ran back down the side of the house about half way, turned and looked back. When I turned off the engine of my RAV4 and got out of it, they all came barreling back my way. The Treat Lady is here!

They milled about me, but when I opened the front door screen, they took off for the back yard so they could meet me at the back door.

I sincerely hope they never range much further than the acre my landlady owns. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by