Oh gross!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Nicole01, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My frizzle Cochin Daisy found a baby dead shrew that my cat killed and left in the yard. I caught Daisy and I tried pulling the shrew by the tail, so she wouldn't swallow it. Apparently I pulled too hard and the tail broke off.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I had to take Daisy over by the weeds and open her mouth to drop the shrew. I did not want her to eat a dead shrew for breakfast.[​IMG]

Daisy wasn't too happy that I took her prize possession from her, but she forgave me soon afterwards. Eating things like that could give her feas and tapeworm. Bleh! I'm so grossed out.

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

Dont think it would of been a problem if she would of ate it. But there could have been germs but pretty unlikely. Still gross.[​IMG].[​IMG].[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2011
  3. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    Ummm....my chickens pretty frequently kill, dismember and eat rodents, snakes, frogs, sparrows, whatever they can get a hold of. They are like packs of little dinosaurs, I am glad I am larger than they.

I have heard both responses to whether birds can get mammal/fish/reptile/amphibian/insect parasites from eating these prey creatures. It seems likely that some bird parasites spend part of their juvenile lives in prey species like earthworms and grasshoppers in order to be more easily picked up by the creatures in which they reach maturity. Does anyone know for certain?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  4. mythkat

mythkat Chillin' With My Peeps

I look at it as they are free ranging, so they are eating what they would if they were feral or wild. That's what makes their eggs so good and good for us. I think Joel Salatin said "Letting the chickens be chickens."

5. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Agreed. No matter folks pet them, coddle them and fluff them up, the chicken is a dinosaur at heart and by instinct will catch and eat anything they can. [​IMG]

7. juliaaa

juliaaa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Syracuse, New York
    Fred's Hens :

Agreed. No matter folks pet them, coddle them and fluff them up, the chicken is a dinosaur at heart and by instinct will catch and eat anything they can. [​IMG]

Agreed!​

8. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    The man delightedly tells me of finding a mouse in the hen house- - devoid of its eyes and feet.
    Yes, dear, they are real vecelorapters. Cannibalistic too.

9. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Fred's Hens :

Ayep. And if chickens came twenty feet tall they'd eat YOU.​

10. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by