1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Oh happy day!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by omi4500, Aug 25, 2014.

1. omi4500

omi4500 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2014
    First egg today!!! At 330 pm. [​IMG] And double yay...it was from Oreo, the one that I had worried a couple weeks ago might be a rooster. NOT! LOL Oreo (and a couple others) have been doing the squat+shake for about a week now. And earlier this afternoon, I found Oreo in the hen house...sitting in a nest box. So I figured we were on track...but didn't expect anything today. An hour later, though, I heard the unmistakable egg song! I flew to the coop and discovered all five huddled around something right in the middle of the run (not the hen house). They were all very quiet and obviously looking at SOMEthing. I just knew! [​IMG] Sure enough, a wee brown egg was right there in the middle of them. I told Oreo that she was a good girl. It was still warm. She is about 18 weeks now (a Delaware).

Squeeee! We are thrilled. Now, I still have 4 others that haven't started laying....so is it correct that I should keep them all on starter feed for the timebeing?

Do the happy dance with me, friends!!!! [​IMG]

2. myfarm4579

myfarm4579 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2014
    Congrats to you on the first egg.what an awesome feeling:) I just ate the first egg I got two days ago. I swear the best egg I ever ate lol. And for her first one it was 2.4oz. If the others are around the same age I would use up the starter feed u have left then switch to layer feed maybe with oyster shell on the side.but I fairly new so maybe the pros will give some advice too. Good luck:)

3. omi4500

omi4500 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2014
    Thanks for sharing my egg joy! Hmmm - I haven't weighed the egg yet, but it's on the medium-small size. I was expecting a soft shell for the first time out, but it's definitely a hard shell. Your feeding advice was what I was planning to do, but I'm so new to all of this as well. Thanks again. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by