OH, help please cat/ kitten emergency amazing update!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chicknmania, Apr 30, 2011.

1. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I think. I have never done this bf. BK our once-feral barn cat has been pregnant, it seems like forever. This morning she was following us around, we noticed her backside was wet and dirty, and she was checking out the kitten boxes we have made for her in the barn, hoping she would use one when the time came. But nothing has happened, and now she is bleeding from the backside. Is this normal???? Not a lot of blood, and she is walking around, but she acts a bit anxious and will not quit following us. WE cannot afford an ER visit; the ER clinic charges 600.00 just to walk in the door. What can we do???? Is this normal????? She has been acting this way since 11:00 this morning.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    A small amount of blood is normal. She needs to deliver, and the walking may encourage that along. I don't know of anything you can do for her, sorry.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Good luck! How long has she been bleeding? And also.. dont let her roam off and deliver the kittens somewhere outside...

4. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I don't think she will do that (wander away). She has been living in our barn all winter and considers it home, and she has had the opportunity to go out, we can't really confine her, but all she has done is just go out to lie in the sun or in the garden behind the barn, she's not wandering away, except she wants to follow us to the house, which we have discouraged, we have other cats and she would be stressed out in the house.

She is only bleeding a bit. It's just that she's been discharging fluids, a bit of water, stuff like that, since this morning. She is purring and does not seem to be in distress, she has been checking out the kitten nest boxes we have made for her and has tested a couple out, seems pleased and seems to be enjoying the attention, i don't think she'd act like that if she were having a problem?

5. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Quote:I only noticed her bleeding a couple of hours ago. She wasn't this morning, it was just watery discharge then, and not a lot of that, either.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  6. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Good Luck! My cat wouldn't give birth until we sat down with her. She didn't want to be alone.

7. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Quote:Oh, great. [​IMG] That's what she acts like. We just went out to the barn to close it up for the night, she was sitting in the doorway with Fabio, we think he's her brother and probably the kitten's father. He ran away and she tried to follow us back to the house. She did NOT want to stay in the barn by herself, but we insisted.

I am worried though b/c when she came in December, we thought she was pregnant. She was that way for three months though, and nothing ever really happened, she got a little smaller. Made me wonder if she miscarried. And if so, it might happen again.

I feel bad about leaving her alone out there, but I don't want to spend the night with her. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  8. Laurieks

Laurieks Where did the time go???

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    Quote:
    That and raspberry leaf....tea if she'll drink it or mix it in food if she'll eat. Best fed during last trimester for uterine tone, but better late than never.
    Best to you all!

9. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Raspberry leaf tea? How do you make that? She is not eating much, and that's not like her, she's a pig normally.

10. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    purring can be a sign of pain, also.

could you just call a vet or two and ask their opinion? might or might not help, but worth a shot.

i would really recommend confining her (especially because she'll go into heat again very soon after giving birth, and can and will get pregnant again unless she is confined). assuming you're absolutely sure that she hasn't given birth elsewhere and abandoned the kittens, but that would be unusual. it's very possible that she's on the verge of giving birth. it's also possible that a kitten may be stuck, or something might be wrong. but a vet is really the only person who could tell you for sure =/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by