OH help please! Hawk in the barn and wont leave!

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
We have tried everything we can think of. Even have a call in to the Feds for a permit to kill it.
State wildlife thinks it will probably spend the night in there. WE have tried closing all the doors
but one chasing it coaxing it trying to lure it out by putting the body of the rooster it killed outside
everything. Our flock is free range and they are hiding everywhere including outside. If they stay out
there other predators will kill them! ANYONE! Ideas? The chickens are not easy to catch especially under these circumstances!

I wouldn't have notified Feds or Wildlife and just SSS.

At this point, I think you may be stuck. Will the wildlife people not come out until it decides to stay overnight and into the next day?

emmalynn has the right idea. Shoulda just handled it yourself. All you did with the feds is letum know you had one in your barn. There's no enjoyment in doing it but you just have to do what need to do. Really a shame.

I dont want to kill it against the law or not. idk may not have a choice. I don't have an airhorn...maybe bottle rockets...

i wouldn't call any government agency..paperwork... being on hold... more reports... waste of time... i know cuz i sorta am employed by local government... anyways just my 2 cents...

i once had a little pigeon problem myself... a few pairs of pigeon invaded my storage shed... i tried all the 'nice' and 'right' way to 'chase' them out but it was futile... so with very little time and energy left to spend on chasing them out... i let go... i let go of the power... one day before i had to leave for work, i told 3 of my kids (all under 5 yrs old) about my pigeon problem and later that day when i came home... no more pigeon problems
big_smile.png

i didn't even have to ask the kids how they chased the pigeons away... i just smiled as i walked passed their sling shot / water balloon cache pile
thumbsup.gif
... (of course i later had to clean out all the pigeon poop and stuff and that was no smiling matter
sickbyc.gif
)

good luck with your hawk problem

I normally wouldn't recommend interacting with the hawk at all, but if it's a choice between shooting it and just bugging it into leaving, I'd choose the latter.

I like the supersoaker/water balloon method. If you don't have any of those, try a water hose with a spray nozzle. I know I wouldn't hang around!

Maybe an airhorn or loud noise would scare it? Buy a fake owl. I have no idea. We have hawks here everywhere! I'm going to keep my girls locked up until spring when there is more food for the hawks to eat.

Back
Top Bottom