Oh, holy possum!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ekofke201, Jan 28, 2013.

1. ekofke201

ekofke201 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2011
    Southern PA
    I just went out to lock the girls up and found a possum hanging around the back of the coop. I had dumped the bottom of the feeder (just powder) there earlier in the day and he was looking for something good I guess. So scary! The ducks were just wandering around the run with the doors wide open two feet away.

I see that they will eat chickens. Is this true? I leave the girls access to the covered run unless it is extremely cold. Will they really make it in? Everything should be really secure...

2. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Possums are tenacious little killers, I have lost many a chicken to a determined possum. You may want to get a live trap.

On an unrelated note, Oh Holy Possum sounds like a parody of Oh Holy Night, and got me tickled! :D

Oh holy possum, your teeth are shining!
    This is the night you attempt a chicken feast!
    Here lays my coop, secure, but possum proof?
    Then you appear, and my stress hits the roof.

3. ekofke201

ekofke201 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2011
    Southern PA
    oh goodness... noted!

I LOVE the song! "Oh, holy possum" is what I said when I rounded the corner of the coop. I'll sing it to my husband to get him to set the trap :)

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I'll probably have that song in my head for days now! [​IMG]

5. mkeawsh

mkeawsh Woody Hollow

Sep 23, 2007
    Beaufort, MO
    Had a possum that would go in the chicken house at night to sleep with them. Never did any harm to them, just ate a little feed and scratch and left.

6. RockerHen

RockerHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Chappells, SC
    [​IMG]

7. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    We killed two possums in our chicken coop years ago, after they would climb and get in and eat the necks and heads off our chickens. food left our or pet food will attract them, as will garbage cans.Only hot wire will keep them and raccoons out of night pens.trap and drown easiest way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by