1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Oh i can't wait!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Mibotsu, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    Just ordered a special pair of buttons from quaillady, i can't wait for them to get here :E!!!! I never had buttons before, but after have one "angry" hen in the house for the past 3 weeks, i kinda got use to it. Had to kick her outside b/c my wife was getting mad at her waking her up every morning at 6am lol. Anyway gonna proceed to ravage the button quail stickys to get to know them more.

If anyone has nice setups of their button quail house lemme see so i can get some better idea's I currently have 2 10gal fish tanks i was thinking about smacking the glass out and combining the 2 so they have more space.

2. animal8

animal8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Oxford
    I think button males have the habit of crowing in the middle in the night. That should be interesting [​IMG] What are the dimensions of the 10 gallon fish tank? I was thinking about getting a pair of buttons and I found a fish tank that was 2'x1'x15" (LxWxH). Would this be suitable for two buttons? [​IMG]

Good luck with the button adventure Mibotsu!! [​IMG]

3. chrishel

chrishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    I'm trying to avoid catching the button bug but you guys are so NOT helping. [​IMG]

Have two lonely 10 gallon tanks in my basement...

I'm excited for your new buttons! Keep us updated and post pictures!

4. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    i honestly can't remember the dimentions, probably something like, 18"x10"12" or something like that. need to find out the size of quaillady and shellyd's breeding pens to get a good idea of size, but buttons are tiny, so the size you have should be PLENTY big enough.

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:Here's a couple..here's how I started out, nice and pretty with the silk plants, but they get messier with time..so later I took them out..thinking about rock decorations...[​IMG]

Top and side opens [​IMG]

Now I just keep that shelf liner in until they get older, plus some hideouts... [​IMG]
    I will be keeping a pair only...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:This is the crow of a Button Quail:

This is a locator call that both males and females do:

(first part of this video is crowing--sounds like wind blowing)

7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:My pens are mostly 11" x 11"; quaillady's are mostly 7" x 16"

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Mibotsu, Congrats on the new Buttons!! [​IMG] Your excitement is contagious! I do not have any buttons but you all are getting me thinking!

Oh and Cynthia, that is a gorgeous cage set up! Is that a parrot cage? Good thinking. That makes a beautiful home for your quail! [​IMG]

9. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Actually, the bar spacing on that cage seems a bit too big for buttons. I'm surprised she hasn't had problems with them getting out.

10. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:My pens are mostly 11" x 11"; quaillady's are mostly 7" x 16"

Now that I think about it, I believe quaillady's are 11" x 16"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by