Oh #$%@ I forgot to defrost the turkey

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Hound, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Hound

Hound Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    The package says 4-5 days to thaw!!! Help, please, wise people [​IMG]

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Put the turkey in bucket of cold water and keep changing it every two hours or so. That method works pretty well for me for a quick thaw.

3. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Cold water baths, drain and refill.

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    1) Don't panic
    2) Take it out and put it in the fridge right now
    3) Let it thaw in the fridge until tomorrow night
    4) Check on it and see if it is thawed
    5) If not, sink thaw it the rest of the way...
    http://www.momsbudget.com/cooking/thawturkey.html

5. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Jinx Ewesheep!

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

What my mom likes to do is just go buy one of those "turkey breast meat only" packs. They are just refrigerated. They are less messy etc. and are easily heated in the microwave (pre-cooked).

Over in the deli section.

7. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Don't worry, I've done that before too! Just fill up your sink with really cold water and add ice. make sure you always have alittle ice floating in the water so it stays cold.

8. Hound

Hound Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    I tried the sink but it won't fit, so the turkey is in the bath. Disaster averted, thank you!!!

I saw Gordon Ramsay do a fancy herbed butter rub under the skin without cutting it. At the time it seemed like a great idea. Then I just realised i'm not Gordon Ramsay. We'll see how it goes.

Now to figure out how to clean the house, bake, and muck out the barn at the same time [​IMG]

9. Sootsie

Sootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    got the same problem and mine is in the bath also, think ill be cooking it first thing xmas day

10. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    OH OH OH
    So I am not the only one who didn;t remember to take the darn bird out of the Freezer.
    We have ours in a big red bucket lined with Black plastic. Then we put one part warm water to two parts Cold ( we used the sink basin. ) Then we will change the water tomorrow morning. You guys should be ok cause I am like 5 hour ahead of you so I have 5 hours less time to sort this bird!!!!!!Once the bird is thawd we will leave it in the plastic tomorrow night in red wine and fruit - then I will pop it in the oven about 4 am christmas morning. Lovely to smell it cooking when we get up on christmas day.

Don't panick guys there is still plently of time!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Oesdog

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by