Oh, I have a good roo, but rough with the girls

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jerseygirl1, Dec 22, 2010.

1. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I hate to have him processed, he's really a great big boy and not nasty, but he's too big for the hens (he's taken up with - of course - all the bantam hens) and he is jsut so rough on them.
    He's 24 weeks - and HUGE, but I feel so bad, he's never been aggressive at all...................maybe some of the newer pullets will have an influence on him. I feel horrible, and I didn't name him for this reason, but he's a good guy...................

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    If the hens can take the attention for a couple of months he should grow out of the aggression. Its a teenager thing.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Bachelor pad? With conjugal visits? He will improve his technique with age, but if he's too big then he's too big and there's not much way around that. Too bad.

Good luck. Sorry for your tough decision.

4. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    I ended up having to get rid of mine for just that reason -- he was a turkey-sized Welsummer, big fella, not too over-burdened with brains, and not particularly aggressive (except that he hated a certain pair of boots I owned). He'd pull out feathers, and stress them, and then the girls got into the habit of picking because he started bald spots. What a mess.

Anyway, gave him away to someone who wanted to introduce the dark egg genes and started the girls with peepers. Things are now much more peaceful in the henhouse.

I'd give yours some time, though. He may cool off. I just couldn't wait any longer (mine was a year old when I gave him up).

5. Mervin

Mervin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Quote:I'm wondering where yours came from. I had the same problem with a Wellie this fall. He didn't go after any boots, but the pulling feathers thing. After he went after my daughter, he went hot tubbing with some carrots and celery.

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    If he is so sweet and you really cannot keep him maybe try to rehome him? I expect it would be a little easier to rehome a young(ish) sweet boy who just needs some bigger girls lol than a mean sonofagun [​IMG]

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If your roo is a LF and your hens/pullets bantam breeds, there's a good chance that more than one of them will end up being injured. As others have suggested, you could pen him separately or try to rehome him. There is a chance he could be eaten in a rehoming situation, but at least his life went toward someone being fed... Sorry - the life for most roos is pretty short.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Agreed. Practice makes perfect.

9. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Quote:Agreed. Practice makes perfect.

Thanks, that's what I am hoping for - he's a really good roo

10. Happy Chooks