Oh ! I just bought an incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SkyWarrior, Jul 22, 2010.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    I don't have the money, but I did it anyway. [​IMG] Good deal on Ebay and benefits bird rescue. [​IMG]

Now, I just have to read up and have some eggs to put in. I guess it would help if my chickens laid eggs right now. Ah well, maybe I'll wait until the BOs get out of the current crate. [​IMG]

2. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Its funny how addictions work, isnt it? lol
    Congrats and welcome to the "hatching crazed and overwhelmed with chicks" club. [​IMG]

3. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    I hear ya. I just did the same thing despite the fact that I really wanted the hens to raise all future chicks. Still not sure if I will be shipping eggs...... but give me time.

If you need justification here is mine.

1. over the long run it will be cheaper than buying and shipping chicks

2. next time I have predator loss (lost most of my chickens to a fox a month ago) I can throw my own eggs in to hatch out and get going again with exactly what I had before.

3 it will be educational for my son

4. I can sell/give chicks to my friend who want chickens.

4. orionburn

orionburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    What bator did you end up getting?

I should be getting my Brinsea Mini tomorrow and starting a batch next week. My girlfriend suggested a 7 egg limit might be good for me instead of a larger bator. Something about me having a tendancy to get carried away. I don't know why she said that. Just because we went from 1 chicken a few years ago to 20 (and more on the way) doens't mean anything. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:This is what I bought: Hovabator 1602N

I made a deal with the rescue. I've seen them on Amazon for $70 but shipping bumped the price up to $55. I'll have to get a fan and egg turner eventually, but it will do for now.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:That's exactly the incubator I bought: Brinsea Mini Advance. For the exact same reason: I couldn't go too hog wild with only 7 eggs at a time. I put shipped eggs into it five days ago; this is my first attempt at hatching through incubation.

(We need a "biting fingernails" smiley!)

7. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:I'm thinking along the same lines. I want to eventually have my own sustaining flock and to do that, I'll have to have my own chicks. What's more, I can sell chicks to people who want them out here and perhaps make a little money.[​IMG]

8. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    [​IMG] LOVE the title of this thread!! I can just picture myself driving home from the feed store saying the same thing knowing that I didn't mention a thing about buying an incubator to DH!! Course I have got to get more chickens first before the bator. No roos now and of course, none of my four girls are laying yet (still at least two months to go) but you know how it is. I have plans!!! Congrats on your purchase!!
    [​IMG]

9. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    [​IMG] Welcome to the hatching club!

Yes, it is very easy to go overboard! My poor hubby is dealing with it right now. Way to many chickens, chicks and a bator full of eggs!

10. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    x

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by