OH, I'M GONNA BE IN TROUBLE!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dumblond, Aug 9, 2007.

1. dumblond

dumblond In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2007
    Joplin, Missouri
    I PLACED AN ORDER THE OTHER DAY FOR SOME NEW CHICKS. DH SAID NOT TO ORDER THE USUAL MINIMUM OF 25 THAT IS REQUIRED BY MOST HATCHERIES, JUST GET A FEW MORE. HE WAS THINKING A HANDFUL. DOES ANYONE ELSE AGREE THAT 12 IS A HANDFUL? I ALSO ORDERED 12 SO THEY WOULD THROW IN THE ROOSTERS. IS THAT WRONG?[​IMG]

2. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    Well you ordered 5 and they threw in the rest for warmth right? [​IMG]

3. dumblond

dumblond In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2007
    Joplin, Missouri
    THAT'S THE STORY I'VE COME UP WITH, AND I'M STICKING TO IT!

4. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    Kelli I finaly found you did you get your letter for secret swap?

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Crowing

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    That's the problem with most of these hatcheries, they make you ordered 25 birds even if you only want a few. I guess I can understand needing birds for warmth if ordered during your cold months but not during the summer months. I had to order 25 meat birds. When they arrived I didn't even have to run a heat lamp because the garage was so hot. At least I thought so, the chicks were loving it. But at least we can eat these birds.
    Just like now, I would like to find a barred rock bantam cochin pullet to go with the cockerel that I hatched this year. He is a beauty. I don't want to order a slew of birds trying to get the one I want. I keep checking to see if anyone in Ohio that raises cochins might be selling what I am looking for.
    Good Luck with your story! And stick to it!

6. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    Yeah the 25 limit is CRAZY right now - and even other hatcheries who want to charge for a heating pad to send any less.

My 8 arrived today, I was in a panic that I would get a boat load of Roo's - but nope they only sent my 8 (I had ordered 9 but they shorted me one) they were totally fine, full of bounce when they arrive, they finally went to sleep when the room got dark at around 8:30 and still no heat source and they're fine - its close to 90 in the room. I was thinking of making them a little nest of sorts, but they seem just fine.

7. dumblond

dumblond In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2007
    Joplin, Missouri
    Hey, Britt did you get my email?[​IMG]

8. dumblond

dumblond In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2007
    Joplin, Missouri
    DH doesn't want the roos, but my 94 year old neighbor wants to hear one in the mornings (so do I) and at 94, I think she deserves it. after all her and her husband gave my DH his first bicycle. See..... it's a win-win situation.

(I know I'll hear them more then in the morning.)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  9. CutestChickenFarmer

CutestChickenFarmer Songster

Jun 26, 2007
    Delaware
    Wow, you're lucky enough to have a neighbor who WANTS to hear a rooster crowing? Heck, I'm doing my best to keep my chickens HIDDEN from the neighbors. I think the cat will be out of the bag, though, when they get some heft and are able to free-range. [​IMG]

10. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    Yes, I got your E-mail, now did you get the 3 that I sent LOL. I needed to correct myself that many times beause I forgot to look before I send I need to get an automatic "SP" one of these days. [​IMG]

(I guess knocking my head on the wall dont help, it will just make me stupider)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: