Oh, I'm so mad

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Wattles, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Wattles

Wattles Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    at my neighbors. Their dogs came over the 6ft high fence that separates our properties and killed 3 of our chickens a little more than a month ago. We sent them a bill for the damage caused, including a vet bill for the one of our hens who was injured in the attack. Today, after waiting a month, we received a snide, legally-worded obnoxious letter. They made it sound like the whole thing was our fault because we didn't tell them that their dogs could get into our yard. They made reference to having to go to the trouble of having to "chicken-proof" the fence that we share!!! What JERKS! They also said they "researched" the issue and that chickens like mine could be bought for under $3 each and that they were "confused" by the fact that the vet bill was dated 5 days after the attack (I didn't realize how badly she was hurt and took her in b/c she started to get worse). I'm dazed by these people's obnoxiousness. My other neighbors have mentioned in the past that these people are not nice. My next door neighbor is convinced that they threw a dead possum into her yard after one of their dogs got into her yard, bit her, and she threatened to complain. Oh, how I wish we could afford to sue these people. Why oh why are there so many mean, ugly people in this world??? [​IMG]

Tara

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    next time shoot the dog. see what they do. tell them its there fault for there dog escaping

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Three dollars does not replace a pet. Does 500 replace their dog? I say write them a letter back and explain.

4. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    How frustrating! I'd be so mad also. I can't believe that they even jumped a 6 ft fence. I'm so sorry for your loss. Maybe you and the other neighbors can ban together to complain.

5. IHeartChickens

IHeartChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Pacific NW
    Ug! How annoying. Sorry you are going through this with your neighbors. It amazes me how unfeeling people can be sometimes. It is like they can't see that chickens are beloved pets that we value and care about as much as a dog or cat. Hugs. [​IMG]

6. Wattles

Aug 20, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    I'm still steaming about this. I just made up a list of points that I want to make to them in a response. I don't know if my last point is accurate or not, but I thought it sounded good:

• We don’t have to inform anyone that we have chickens, no more so then we would have to inform you if we acquired a new dog. It’s none of your business what pets we own, unless they are entering your property.
    • If you aren’t aware that your dogs are leaving your yard and digging under/going over that fence then you are not attentive pet owners.
    • It’s obvious that this has been an issue in the past because of the existing chicken wire/filled holes along the bottom of the fence.
    • I’m afraid you have mischaracterized what you did to the fence. You did not chicken-proof it - my chickens cannot fly more than 2ft off of the ground. They are not able to fly into your yard nor will they. Your pets are the ones who have gone over the fence, not mine. My chickens have a secure run they graze in. It is absurd to say that you are ‘chicken-proofing’ the fence. What you did is dog-proof it to keep your own dogs in.
    • I had put a great deal of love and food into those chickens and though I had initially paid a small amount for each one, by the time your dogs killed them, they would have been worth at least $25 each had I chosen to sell them as ready-to-lay pullets.

Tara

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  7. Wattles

Aug 20, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    Yeah, I get the feeling that these are not the kind of people who you can explain things to - this is south TX and the husband looks like the kind of guy who might have a gun and might be willing to use it. I don't trust these people. I think the safest plan of action is for us to accept their offer of $100, put barbed wire up along the top, stones along the bottom, grow really thorny climbing roses all over it, and buy a gun. I can't believe I'm wanting to buy a gun - that's how scared these people have made me. I hope there really is such a thing as karma - I know it's bad to wish ill unto others but I honestly hope that something painful happens to these bad people. I honestly feel sorry for the dogs - it is not their fault. They are victims too - of bad owners.

Tara

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Valid points. I would in your letter though, try not to accuse but rather remove the you's and such from the statement. Add something about the community in which everyone has to co exist in. Be curteous, keep records... and maybe get them fried. buah hahahaha

Edit: At least they offered you something! That's a start. I say arm up but try to talk with them more too even if you have to bite you tongue.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  9. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    In most states it is legal to protect your property from other animals on your property. I'd let them know that the next time their dogs get in your yard and even chase a chicken, that they will be shot! Plain and simple and to the point! I know you are upset over the killing of your chickens but, if you can't afford to sue them, just try to move on and let them continue to be "STUPID" They will get what they deserve!

10. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    I agree you should try to settle for any amount of money they are willing to repay to you. When the smoke clears, though I would make sure that they know this:
    (Since you live in Texas) Tell them that you intend to protect your remaining chickens through whatever means available. It is not against the law to protect your family, livestock or pets in Texas. Explain that you are perfectly within your legal right to dispose of their animals if they enter your yard. It is obvious that your first attempt to work things out was in a reasonable manner - but don't be afraid of owning a gun - especially in this day and time (and listening to your statement about the neighbor). You may need it to protect your pets in the future.

Good luck - I know that we would SSS any animal that trespassed in our yard with the intent to harm our chickens - and Texas law supports that.

Brenda

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by