Oh I'm so new to this. Help please?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sixlittlechicks09, Jan 17, 2011.

1. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Hi everyone!
    So my hens are laying ABSURD amounts of eggs, even in this awful cold weather, so I decided to post some for sale on Craigslist. I almost Immediately got a response from a woman asking if I had hatching eggs. I told her we have roosters for the hens so any eggs we got would be fertile, and she got SO excited and started asking me what kinds of breeds and how much I'm charging and this and that... I had NO idea, so I scoped around a little and told her ten bucks a dozen. She was INSANELY excited and now wants two dozen of my EE's eggs (of which I only have two hens)
    They're each laying about an egg a day, so do the math, it'll take two weeks for me to get her two dozen! I don't know what to do. I don't mind giving this lady some eggs to hatch, but the hatch dates are going to be SO far apart for all the chicks?
    I thought about just collecting them daily and popping them right into an incubator or under my dear Betty who feels it's her only duty in life to sit on things that even roughly resemble an egg (found her trying to roll a ball of ice into her nest of rocks and round dirt clumps, she's not the brightest) but will that work? Am I missing some huge flaw in my plan?
    She also was wondering if I would ship them, and after reading the tutorials and posts abt shipping eggs worries me a little. By the time I got all two dozen, the eggs from the first day would be halfway to hatching! Would they live through shipping? Or should I just tell her they are pickup only? Ohh my...

2. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    With only two EE hens it would take you a while to get two dozen eggs. Would she settle for a half dozen or possibly a dozen at a time? If I recall correctly hatching eggs can be stored small end down for up to 7 days with good results. After that the chances of them hatching starts to decline.

They're each laying about an egg a day, so do the math, it'll take two weeks for me to get her two dozen! I don't know what to do. I don't mind giving this lady some eggs to hatch, but the hatch dates are going to be SO far apart for all the chicks?
    I thought about just collecting them daily and popping them right into an incubator or under my dear Betty who feels it's her only duty in life to sit on things that even roughly resemble an egg (found her trying to roll a ball of ice into her nest of rocks and round dirt clumps, she's not the brightest) but will that work? Am I missing some huge flaw in my plan?

Does she want you to hatch them for her or does she want to hatch them? Your question confused me a little. As far as shipping the eggs I have never shipped eggs, so I cannot be any help. There are plenty of others on this site who ship eggs quite successfully.​

3. CammieSilkie

CammieSilkie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Depending on the breed, you can sell hatching eggs for 5-10 bucks an egg! I'd tell her your situation. You shouldn't ship eggs in general, because that leaves that at only a 50% hatch rate, plus shipping eggs that are close to halfway into development is a no-no. only freshly laid, non-developed yet eggs can be shipped. So, I'd say, tell her to come pick them up daily. Because you know how mad a hen can get when you take away her eggs! (especially ones shes been sitting on for a week! [​IMG] ) Hopefully this lady doesn't live far away [​IMG]

4. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Thanks so far! She wants to hatch them herself, but two dozen from two hens would mean I would almost be hatching them for her! Live about an hour away, so probably the half dozen or dozen idea would work the best...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by