Oh, Its Always Hard

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wbruder17, Nov 12, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I just gave 4 chicks to their new home. I kept 3 and still need to find a home for one lonely roo. I know I can't keep them all, but its hard to hatch them, raise them (with tender love, handling and lots of treats), have them fly to you, and follow you around, and call for you.....then give them up.

Its hard to choose which ones to keep. I really wanted to keep one or two of the ones I sold....but there are more eggs set to hatch next week....and again, I just can't keep them all....
    [​IMG]. [​IMG]

2. SadieSue

SadieSue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Tacoma, WA
    Quote:It IS hard, isn't it? But just think about what a wonderful thing you've done to give such nicely socialized chicks to a new forever home where they can live happy, productive lives. As someone who has purchased nice birds from caring BYC'ers before, thank you!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  3. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Yes, thank you. I pride myself in raising super friendly chicks....but I always worry whether I found them good enough homes. I'm sure its fine, as the guy works at my feed store, but I worry nonetheless. [​IMG]

Guess its out of my hands now anyway. The guy DID make me feel much better when he saiid "oh, I can hear it now...Daddy, can I take this one to bed with me?" He said they handle and play with all their animals, so I'm sure they will be very happy. Plus, he works at a local, famiily run feed store, so they will always have food!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Yeah it's really hard. I bought chicks and one of my friends wanted chicks so I just put them in with my order. She wanted 12 Black australorps and I was getting three so when the came I had to pick three from the 15 it was very hard.

5. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Ooooohh! He just sent me a text picture of his 3 little girls, 2 dogs, cat and wife all sitting in the living room playing with their new chickies! He said his daughters love them! Yippy! I'm SO happy![​IMG].[​IMG]. [​IMG]

6. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    You put all the love in to them and it is very hard to let your babies go. Sure. Who can't understand that. It is hard for me I get so attached so quick.

7. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I can't do it. If they're born here they live here for life and die here. It took me a single hatch to figure that out (I've only been into chickens 8 months). My answer is just not to let any hatch out unless I'm fully prepared to keep them for life. That's the way I have to do it. More power to you if you can let them go, but I can't. I know my weaknesses.

8. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Awww [​IMG]
    I get way too attached to my chickens, haha....

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Oh, we are cut from the same cloth!!

I was able to give up some feed store chicks I raised, but ONLY to some very good friends. The ones hatched here, incubator or naturally, just gotta stay here. Even if they're roosters....

[​IMG]

10. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I'm just addicted to hatching and raisiing chicks, and we already added on to the run. Pretty soon I will also need a new coop, at this rate, whiich is actually fine with me....but with 9 hatching every couple of months, I can't keep that many and have them stay happy. Its hard to give them up, but I find them good homes and this allows me to hatch and raise more!

I do miiss them tho. However, I kept 3 this time...and they are wonderfuul and absolutely gorgeous.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by