OH its Onnnnnnnnn! (update)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Stevo, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Stevo

Stevo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Howell, NJ
    Well a while ago (im guessing it's been 2 weeks) my favorite little rust cochin hen disapeared. I had seen a coyote prowling the day before and was sure he got her. I was very peeved and was strapped to the hilt to remove this yote to the happy chicken farm in the sky lol. Well yesterday I was out in the barn and I look down in an empty stall and there is my little hen! How she managed without food or water for 2 weeks is beyond me. I took her to the coop and she began eating and seems fine. This morning when I let them out she came right out and joined the bug patrol like she was never gone lol. The barn is open all day and I take a chicken count a few times a day to make sure no one is missin so I know she wasn't with them. I searched the barn for a nest and didn't find one. What she was doing in there for 2 weeks I'll never know lol. But I am glad to have her back.

Here is a photo of her if anyone can identify what she is thnx

[​IMG]

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Congratulations Stevo!!! You must have been so psyched!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Stevo

Apr 14, 2010
    Howell, NJ
    I couldn't believe my eyes lol. She is very skittish so it was hard to get a photo.

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    We don't get enough stories with great endings like yours.

5. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Wow, that's crazy! And wonderful, so glad she safe. Has she tried to head back to the barn? I bet she does have a nest in there somewhere!

6. Stevo

Apr 14, 2010
    Howell, NJ
    She hasn't tried to go back to the barn yet. I gave a quick look around for a nest and nothing. I will go make a thoro search latter.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    How she survived, its beyond me! Bugs, certainly but no water.......hmmmmmmm!

8. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    good news!!! [​IMG]

9. Stevo

Apr 14, 2010
    Howell, NJ
    I have no animals in the barn right now so there was no water in there. I do leave the front and back doors open during the day so she might have slipped out for a drink then went back in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by