Oh lucky me. Broodies.

I don't know anything about hatching with Valbazen eggs, can't hep you there.

Real evidence for Valbazen is only about goats and other livestock, not little bitty chickens.
What that means is you are using it off-label. It has never officially been tested on chickens so there is no research on that. Nobody really knows what effects it has. All you can get is anecdotal evidence, generally from untrained people. If you don't have properly controlled experiments you don't know what effects it really has.

The way I understand this is your first broody is raising chicks, your second broody has been broody 2 weeks, and the third broody just started. To be ultra safe you want to wait another two weeks before you start collecting eggs to incubate.

To me there is no real choice. Once you are sure the third broody is really broody, break the second one. It would be four weeks from when she went broody until you even start saving eggs to incubate. That's too long. Use broody number three.

You read so much on here about first time broodies that people think there is something wrong with them. That's not been my experience. I've had great success with first time broody hens. I've had failures with hens that were previously successful hatching and raising chicks, let alone hens that have gone broody once before. When I'm trying to decide which broody gets eggs whether they are a first time broody or not doesn't even enter my thought process.

Back
Top Bottom