1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Oh man, I had to open the incubator- please keep your fingers crossed!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by littlelemon, Apr 11, 2011.

1. littlelemon

littlelemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2007
    Ohio
    My eggs are due to hatch on Wednesday. Today is Monday, and I opened the incubator to take out the egg turner.

Lo and behold I heard cheeping, and when I took a closer look I noticed that 4 of the eggs had pips! I quickly moved the eggs, took out the turner, added water to the trough, and put the lid back on. None of the eggs have broken, there are just 4 little pips.

I am SO worried! On my very first hatch 3 years ago I opened the lid during a hatch and lost 2 chicks that way. Now, they were much further along in the hatch, but since then I have NEVER opened the lid at all, and my hatches have been good. I am really, really hoping that because the membrane was not yet broken that the chicks won't be affected. I will just cry if I lose those 4 chicks, I only have 12 due to hatch.

I can't believe my eggs are hatching 2 days early! They have always pipped right on day 21, never day 19 [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  2. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm sure they'll be fine! As long as your humidity went up after you closed it you're good!

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    If you just gotta open your box in the last three days get you a spray bottle of water. Adjust it to a fine mist and each time you open it up give the insides a light misting before closing it up again. The humidity will quickly come back up.

4. suburbanchickymama

suburbanchickymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Apex, NC
    [​IMG] [​IMG] GOOD LUCK!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    A.T. Hagan :

If you just gotta open your box in the last three days get you a spray bottle of water. Adjust it to a fine mist and each time you open it up give the insides a light misting before closing it up again. The humidity will quickly come back up.

That is what I do too so there isn't too much humidity loss.​

6. HenPenny

HenPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    Lewisville tx
    WOW, mine are due Wednesday. I had to go check and see if any of mine are pipping. LOL

7. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Don't worry ~ I had the same thing happen on my last batch and had 47 or 48 hatch. Just sit back and try to relax.

8. hippiehen

hippiehen wastefully exuberant

Aug 27, 2008
    Utopia, Texas
    Mine are due wednesday too! What are you hatching? I've got blue and copper marans that were shipped as well as some of my own mutts. [​IMG]

Sending you good luck vibes!! [​IMG]

9. Deanner03

Deanner03 The Cake Queen

We've done this as well, and it turned out fine!!!! GOOD LUCK!

10. jamespet

jamespet Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    Youngsville,NC
    If you find eggs piping in the turner like those would it
    be wise to finish the hatch in an upright position like
    they were in the turner?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by