oh man tragic (Brooder Fire)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by pidgey104, Oct 19, 2009.

1. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    Well I went out to feed every one yesterday morning. Checked my brooder and checked on my new black cochins that I just had hatch for me the day before. In the =brooder I had 20 bufff orpingtons that I bought of ebay. I was happy when I had so many of them hatch. I had my 8 newly hatched black cochins, about 5 guneas,10 quail and a little turken chick. all in the brooder. anyway I filled their water made sure they had feed. I had a platic contanier on one side taht I put the new hatched chicks in.I chased a quail that got caught behind it. he was fun to chase around. got him caught and tossed him on the other side. closed the brooder up and went inside to fix breackfast. So about 10 min lkater my boyfirend goes "You smell something" He goes out the back door and yells "[email protected]@@@" I go out to see "what the [email protected]" My brooder caught fire. the smoke was thick and covered the back yard and the neighbors yard... it was awful. well he put it out. thank god it was right beside hes pouch that atcached to the house. anyway heres my brooder.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it was awful to hear the chicks screaming.........after the fire was out. surprise I pulled out 6 buff orpingtons,3 guineas and two quail(Which 1 quail died later). and my little turken made it. They had run to the back and was hiding in the waterer.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    I am so sorry this happened.[​IMG] At least most of them survive. [​IMG]

3. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I am so sorry about the fire Pidgey. Was it the heat lamp? I am glad you were able to save some of the babies.

4. 007Dawn

007Dawn Out Of Coop

Apr 29, 2009
    I'm so sorry for you! There is a device you can hook up to your lamps that will turn them off in the case of a shortage. They can be bought a Home depot worth every penny of the $10 for future knoweldege.

I'm really sorry for you![​IMG]:hugs

5. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    Quote:I guess when I chased that quail around I bumped the heat lamp and it got to close to the platic container that my cochins were in. It was heartbreaking.

6. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    surprisingly that quail made it. The litttle buggger.

7. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    OMG! Im so sorry, but Im glad that you could save some babies.
    You are very lucky to have caught it in time. Im glad that wasnt near the house (or in a building)!

8. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    Quote:it was pretty close to the house as you can see in the pic. we moved it last night over on a concreate place beside a sink . and I had to put the remaining chicks back down. I'm useing a brooder bulb this time. have to go and find me some more waters since I lost both in the fire. some of the pooor chicks got in the water and the waterter melted over them. so I had to break them out.

9. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    That had to be such a nightmare. Oh gosh, to have to break the chicks out of the plastic? Are they really ok? I would be in tears.

10. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    Quote:.
    0I was in tear most of the day. yes they are fine though. I lost everyone of my little cochins though. [​IMG] it was my frist batch to ahtch out my cochin I have up in fountian. The brooderr here is in town.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by