oh man tragic (Brooder Fire)

Pidgey104

Cochins R Us
16 Years
Nov 10, 2007
Mooresburg TN
Well I went out to feed every one yesterday morning. Checked my brooder and checked on my new black cochins that I just had hatch for me the day before. In the =brooder I had 20 bufff orpingtons that I bought of ebay. I was happy when I had so many of them hatch. I had my 8 newly hatched black cochins, about 5 guneas,10 quail and a little turken chick. all in the brooder. anyway I filled their water made sure they had feed. I had a platic contanier on one side taht I put the new hatched chicks in.I chased a quail that got caught behind it. he was fun to chase around. got him caught and tossed him on the other side. closed the brooder up and went inside to fix breackfast. So about 10 min lkater my boyfirend goes "You smell something" He goes out the back door and yells "Shi@@@@" I go out to see "what the hec@" My brooder caught fire. the smoke was thick and covered the back yard and the neighbors yard... it was awful. well he put it out. thank god it was right beside hes pouch that atcached to the house. anyway heres my brooder.......

Picture003.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

Picture001.jpg

it was awful to hear the chicks screaming.........after the fire was out. surprise I pulled out 6 buff orpingtons,3 guineas and two quail(Which 1 quail died later). and my little turken made it. They had run to the back and was hiding in the waterer.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for you! There is a device you can hook up to your lamps that will turn them off in the case of a shortage. They can be bought a Home depot worth every penny of the $10 for future knoweldege.

I'm really sorry for you!
hit.gif
:hugs

Quote:
I guess when I chased that quail around I bumped the heat lamp and it got to close to the platic container that my cochins were in. It was heartbreaking.

Quote:
it was pretty close to the house as you can see in the pic. we moved it last night over on a concreate place beside a sink . and I had to put the remaining chicks back down. I'm useing a brooder bulb this time. have to go and find me some more waters since I lost both in the fire. some of the pooor chicks got in the water and the waterter melted over them. so I had to break them out.

That had to be such a nightmare. Oh gosh, to have to break the chicks out of the plastic? Are they really ok? I would be in tears.

Quote:
0I was in tear most of the day. yes they are fine though. I lost everyone of my little cochins though.
sad.png
it was my frist batch to ahtch out my cochin I have up in fountian. The brooderr here is in town.

Back
Top Bottom