Oh mrs desertdarlene !!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Blob Chicken, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Blob Chicken

Blob Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    i have 2 questions :

How do you know the gadwall/mallard ducks are indeed hybrids ,and not just mallards ??

Also how to you tell apart all the killdeer and know who who and whos grandkd is whos and whatnot [​IMG]

2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Well, when you watch them long enough, you know. [​IMG] Seriously, you can tell that it is any species is a hybrid when you see the following things:

1. You see them breeding together and they have offspring.
    2. The offspring has characteristics of both species and you know that both species interbreed.

Hybrids, including domestic-mallard hybrids usually have traits from both species. Gadwalls, for example, have white speculums, a higher forehead and narrower, darker bill than mallards. Hybrids will often have white speculums like the gadwall, but the same feather patterns as a mallard. Or, they will have a gadwall shaped head and bill, but the bill might be orange or greenish. Male gadwall-mallard hybrids will have the "puffy-looking" head that male gadwalls have (male gadwalls' heads don't turn green), but will be green or mostly green like a mallard.

As for the killdeer, you can tell them apart just like you do people-- they all look different! They all have different markings, body shapes, voices, and personality. Granted, some of them look so similar that I have to tell apart by comparing photos, but they each have different characteristics. And, believe it or not, there are even a few characteristics and marks that they keep from hatchling to adulthood.

OK, once you know who's who, you can follow their families. You can see them chose their mates, have chicks, watch their chicks grow up and the cycle begins again. I can go into more details about how to determine gender, differences between juvenile and adults, etc.

I hope that answers your questions.

3. Blob Chicken

Nov 2, 2009
    That it did [​IMG]

Nice to know. I love Brewers Ducks (gadwall/mallards) You'll have to make tonnes of pictures of them if you ever see the males in full breeding plumage.

Also ya ,I get what you mean with the killdeer. I have the same thing with the geese that live in the ponds around my place. I had a Killdeer once ,cute little thing...

4. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I'm glad I answered your questions.

We don't get many gadwall/mallard hybrids here though the males sure do love those female mallards. I do have lots of photos of male gadwalls in breeding plumage. We have a lot of rouen/mallard hybrids, though.

Right now, everyone's in eclipse, but only for a few more weeks. I think an owl or hawk got one of the pretty males that I used to see at the lake every time I went.

The little killdeer are cute, but they sure get noisy sometimes. I have one at the lake that likes to yell at me all the time and even follow me around. But, I'm glad he does yell at me because when he didn't I often almost stepped on him because he blended into the scenery so well.

5. Blob Chicken

Nov 2, 2009
    Quote:hehe ,silly guy [​IMG]

Also yes ,they are loud ,very very loud....

I love reading your blog(?) I like the pictures [​IMG]

6. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by