Oh my! a shelless egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bethsplace, May 17, 2010.

1. bethsplace

bethsplace Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    Saturday I found a broke egg out on what we call the porch of the chicken coop shell was hard. but much to my surprise I found a shell less egg this morning how weird it is. I kept it to show the kids. it is just the membrane holding it together and I am surprised the one who laid it didnt peck and break it she is very curious and will peck at but not break the eggs sometimes.

2. chickM4st3r(AL)

chickM4st3r(AL) Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2010
    LI,NY
    my hen do it some times they need minerals like crushed oyster shell

3. ICallMyselfCherie'

ICallMyselfCherie' Chillin' With My Peeps

Hahaha, yeah, I had that happen to me for the first time a few weeks ago!! Boy, was I amazed. I had heard of that happening before, but I thought it was so rare I might not see it for a really long time. Nope, got a new hen -- an older, rescued one -- and she layed one normal egg, and the next one she layed was shell-less!!! [​IMG]

She has layed about three more since then, but all of them have been broken because she steps on them all. [​IMG] I keep meaning to throw some calcium out for her, but I keep forgetting because I'm so busy with the baby chicks!!

Well, this is a good reminder. I'll put some oyster shells out for her tomorrow . . . and give her a bath. She has lice. Yech!

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Hens who are stressed, calcium and/or vitamin D deficient and hens with ovarian problems all lay these shell-less eggs. Seems to me that otherwise healthy ones can do so from time to time as well.

Just make sure she has enough calcium and vit. D and check she is otherwise well. She may well go back to normal eggs straight away,

sandie

5. bethsplace

bethsplace Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    thanks for all your imput I will get some oyster shell they have always laid such hard eggs I figured they didnt need it but lately they seem like they do.

6. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:So, what do you give them for the vitamin D????

Thanks,

Dave

7. eekgads

eekgads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Central VA
    You can get Vit D supplements as liquid (put in water) or pills (crush em & put in feed).

8. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    You can also use vitamin fortified margarine on bread which chickens love. Useful when you don't have vit D supplements,
    Sandie

9. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Quote:So, what do you give them for the vitamin D????

Thanks,

Dave

Oyster Shell helps, Vit. D crushed powder or just the drops that you add to water.

Last edited: May 19, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by