Oh, My Bad!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by KFox, Jul 25, 2011.

1. KFox

KFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    I posted a few days or maybe a week ago about my neighbor's dog.

Beagle Dog

Anyway, the neighbor just figured it out. Apparently, I am wrong. What I did was wrong.

I should tied the dog up and contained it until they got home. I could've tied it to the tree with something. I could've called them. They could've just bought me new chickens.

But sending it to the animal shelter was WRONG and I'm wrong for that because it's going to cost them $175 to get her out. No apologies for it happening, no thank you for sending her there and not shooting her (it's legal here). Just called to tell me how she really felt about the situation.

WOW. I'm having a tough time processing the level of entitlement here. Not only should I have taken her home, but I should've taken something to tie her up with. Chickens aren't a big deal and they can be replaced!

I was thinking...the dog was in my yard attacking my chickens. I put her in a place that she could be picked up from if they cared enough. I didn't ask for reimbursement for the chickens or the medication needed for them.

Just WOW.

2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I would no longer accept phone calls, and if the neighbor comes over, ask them to leave your property. Dog comes back get to the gun faster. I'm mad FOR you. [​IMG]

3. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Here we shoot to kill. Supposedly once a dog has the taste for chicken you have a hard time getting rid of them. Live and learn is sometimes hard to digest.

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Stupid neighbors! [​IMG]

I've been in a similar situation. I was running with a friend and two dogs(labs) came and attacked us. We called 911 because it bit us. They confronted us and told us he was ticked off we called the police. [​IMG] Not only that, the neighbor saw us being attacked and never once came to get his dog. We should of taken him to court!

I'm sorry for the grief the neighbors are giving you. If their dogs get loose again, take them right back into the humane society. Eventually they will learn.

5. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

OMG people are so STUPID. How DARE they insinuate it is YOUR problem to worry about THEIR dog. OMG. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Plain and simply tell them "Fine you don't like it - well if you kept YOUR dog out of MY yard, she wouldn't be at the pound. The dog is not MINE to contain... However the next time YOUR dog is in MY yard, I will treat it as the PREDATOR it is. If you value your 175$ to get the dog out of the pound, invest in a way to KEEP your dog in YOUR OWN YARD...Or else you won't have to worry about posting bail again."

Leave it at that. and block their number, don't take phone calls, if they come to your house tell them to leave. The dog comes back -SSS.

6. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    People amaze me with what they feel they are entitled to. Not caring about the death & destruction their dog dished out. [​IMG] Guess they will keep it up or take better care of it or it could end up in doggie jail again. Hang in there hit them in the wallet it makes for a lasting effect without all the anger or emotion.What you did was not wrong by any stretch of the imagination.MAny others would have dispatched the dog , you chose humane & good use of the law. Not your responsibilty to contain , tie up, or wait til they got home . It is their responsibilty to contain / control their animal. [​IMG] It is also their moral responsibilty to pay for your losses, med treatment etc. But I doubt that will happen given their sense of entitlement., it wasn't their fault, or the dog's fault . [​IMG] [​IMG] Just know you are the better person. [​IMG]

7. DelcoChix

DelcoChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Central Ohio
    You really are out of line. Why weren't you prepared to secure their dog after having been through this before? I think you should have purchased a decent sized dog kennel, maybe a dog house for it, fresh water (it's been pretty hot ), and gosh, asked your neighbors what type of food their dog prefers (unless it's fresh chicken). Geez, think you would be a little more prepared. (yep-sarcasm here)
    For pete's sake (and everyone elses too), you did everything the way a good neighbor should--with that sort of mentality you will never be able to reason with those people--you just keep on taking the high road and doing whatever you can to keep your birds-breakfast makers-pets-livestock ( I personally don't care what title you want to give them, they are living creatures relying on you for protection and you had no reason to suspect you weren't doing that) safe from predators as best as you are able. It's a shame if you end up having to complete your fencing because of this experience...but you need to do whatever you feel will give you peace of mind. Oh yeah...I'd be kind of curious to see if that dog ever shows up again. If they really did fork out that kind of money they might be a bit more observant of their dog in the future, now they know you weren't kidding. Also, I hope you are able to document this incident, along with prior history, so IF there is a next time these folks might end up in small claims court--they have a problem dog (I know=problem owners, not dog) and now it's on record...and they could be hit harder in the pocketbook.

8. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Small claims court came to my mind as well. Some people with dogs dont understand that the dog is harming a persons possible income. They may be surprised how much they could be liable for if you show how much money you could have made off a hen if she had of laid x amt of eggs for x amt of years and you were selling them. Then on the other hand, these dogs owners dont understand that these birds are part of our family just like their dog is part of theirs. We name our peepers and we check on them multiple times per day and we relish the joy that they give us. Souinds like that poor beagle got a bad deal when he was adopted.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Pretty typical of society in general and peoples' refusal to accept responsibiity. Back when "neighbors" were really neighbors this cr*p was almost unknown. [​IMG] Last dog attack here I did not want to press charges. The animal control agent said, "I'm bringing charges on my own. This is the dog's third attack. He's really a nice dog, but his owners are idiots." The owners relinquished the dog to AC, and he was placed in a more responsible home.

10. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    I think Dr. Laura would say that whether or not what you did was "right" or "wrong" depends on what outcome you were hoping to achieve with your neighbor. If you were friends with your neighbors and wanted to maintain a friendship, the "right" thing would be to confine their dog in a safe place until they could come and retrieve it. If your highest priority was to be sure that the dog never, ever threatened your chickens again, the "right" thing would probably be to shoot it. If you were looking for something between the two outcomes (where your neighbor dislikes you rather than has a murderous vendetta against you but you can be pretty sure their dog won't come back to your yard) then dropping it off at the pound was the "right" thing. My opinion anyway.

Any of the above choices are legal and you had the "right" to do them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by