Oh my, can anyone tell me about Babydoll sheep?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by keeperofthehearth, Feb 26, 2008.

1. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh my, am I in trouble!![​IMG] I've been checking out various "critters" on the internet in the hopes of adding something new to our household and came across Babydoll sheep. They are soooooo cute! Does anyone have any experience with them? Help me, I am falling . .. I want ducks, geese, a goat and now a Babydoll sheep!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Is there no end in site to the cute critters one might want?

2. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    I know that they are really cute , and eat grass, lol I only know stuff about goats..

3. polish15

polish15 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2008
    MD
    I have lots of sheep but not baby doll. My friend has baby doll sheep and I shear the sheep for them.

4. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

They ARE exceedingly adorable, and just as expensive. Lambs around here go for $350+ each. Aside from their looks and the price, they are like any other breed of sheep -just smaller and fuzzier. [​IMG]

5. keeperofthehearth

Thanks! A bit pricey, oh well, I can dream! [​IMG] I do like the size though.
    So cute!

6. thechickenfarmer

thechickenfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    They are super cute and small but in my opinion they don't have the finest wool. If you're not a knitter though that won't bother you. [​IMG]

7. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    The sheep lady(has over 200 sheep,lol) across the road from me has some.
    She has them as pets for her grandkids and for their wool. She spins the wool. They are very calm and friendly. They handle very well and have docile dispositions.

8. keeperofthehearth

Thanks everyone. Sounds like the sheep I want but with the price, whew!!! I'll dream about a someday with Babydoll sheep. Thanks again. [​IMG] I haven't been able to talk DH into a goat, which is how I ended up with chickens in the first place, but I have got him interested in possibly a goose. [​IMG] And maybe a pair of ducks!

9. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    I have babydolls! And I love them!! They are my great big teddy bears!!!
    Right now I have three weathers. At the end of march I am getting 4 more and hopefully one the sheep start lambing I will be getting a couple of ewes. Weathers are a whole lot cheaper then ewes or rams. I'm getting my weathers for $50 each Yay!! the ewes are going to be either $200 or $400 it depends on who I get them from. If your really intrested look on yahoo at groups there are several there that have great info. Just an FYI If we didn't already love our goats we would get rid of them and keep the sheep. So much difference in work LOL. C

10. keeperofthehearth

Oh my gosh C! Only $50.00! Where did you find them? Oh,I want one soooooo bad! Maybe I can talk my DH into a Babydoll weather for Easter or my BD. They don't seem like they need too much room. We only have 2.75 A. and neighbors all around. We are renovating a Large shed (10x20) into a new chicken coop, Could we make a small sheep pen in their along side the chickens? We could make a separate grazing pen outdoors for one or do you think one sheep would get lonely? Oh, if you have time tell me more about your Babydolls! Do you have to have them sheared or do you do that yourself and how often? I best research the care of sheep just on the off hand I can have one. How exciting!!!!![​IMG]
    You've made my day![​IMG] Thanks cgjsmith!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by