OH MY...Chicken or duck egg..HUGE!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wilmothfarms, Aug 26, 2010.

1. wilmothfarms

wilmothfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Cecilia Kentucky
    Cant tell if my duck or my chicken laid this one! I've been waiting on pins and needles for my duck Lucy to lay and I thought my Cornish Cross Rosemary has been laying (all my pullets have just started they are about 22 weeks old) I've gotten 4 eggs so far today which is the most in one day I've gotten so I was egg-cited![​IMG]
    I went in this afternoon and I found this huge egg! Their nesting boxes (for now until I build my permanent ones well, these are working out PERFECT) are deep covered litter boxes. I cant imagine my Pekin duck Lucy can get in there and lay an egg! but this one is huge! Can someone tell me if my hen is just laying a huge one since she just started or did Lucy maybe lay? I put some pictures for comparison of the egg I got a couple days ago (I didnt get an egg yesterday of this kind) each of these eggs has a slight filmy covering that washes off and its a VERY light pinkish hue under the tinted brown. I'm not sure what color Pekin eggs are. I want Lucky to hatch her eggs if she is laying so I want to put it back right away if she is! Only problem is she laid in the box EVERYONE is laying in! I'm not sure if this IS her egg that her nesting there is gonna work out. I've provided 2 other places for her to nest and she does relax there during the day off and on. Or did my Cornish just have a monster egg today. And can anyone tell me who laid this beautiful dark brown egg? Its the first time I've gotten one of these! I've got a few "squatters" they are a D'uccle, Cornish, 2 Black Sex Link ( I know one their eggs are the lighter colored ones I've seen her lay and I watched her lay this morning). The other breeds I've got are a Plymouth Barred rock, Orpington, Seabright, Cochin bantam, Modern Game Hen (LOL no way its hers, hers will probably be the size of a marble [​IMG] ), Leghorn, Rhode Island Red, (gee is that everyone?????) The other breeds are not showing me they are sqauting and accepting a rooster, and some have really big red combs some dont. Here are my pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Orps lay the lighter brown

3. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    it looks ducky to me.

4. wilmothfarms

May 3, 2010
    Cecilia Kentucky
    Well I've been watching, and I thought my Leghorn was laying, this egg ended up being a Double Yolker! There is just no way my Pekin was fitting into the enclosed cat litter boxes I've got for nesting boxes. Which by the way, did I mention already are awesome for nesting boxes? Thanks to whoever on here gave out that idea! ANYWHO...found 4 eggs now outside in the chicken yard slightly larger than this egg, looks just like it tho...havent cracked them yet to see if they are Lucy's eggs...crossing my fingers! Also...no white Leghorn eggs inside the nesting box in the coop since I've been finding the large eggs outside either...totally confused! My pullets are really wearing me out! SO ready for them to be big girls already!

5. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG]

I'm waiting for our Pekin duck to lay "Trigger" but have been told that her eggs will be white.

Hope it helps! Good Luck! [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I say duck egg.

7. wilmothfarms

May 3, 2010
    Cecilia Kentucky
    This egg is white under the bloom. Well that very light pinkish tint is so light its practically white. My friend who has ducks said her's lay white white...and then also lays that white/pinkish color when they started...I'm so confused!!!!!!!!!!! I just dont have the time to stand in the yard or coop all day to see who is laying what! Its so frustrating! Do you have chickens and ducks? Will you post a picture of your duck eggs when she starts laying so I can see what yours looks like? That will help me SO much!

8. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG] Yes I have chickens and ducks...I will keep track of this thread and post a pic when Trigger (duck) lays one...(we're still waiting) and trust me I know how confusing it can get...LOL

I think that we should teach the birds to bring us the eggs when they lay them...that way there won't be any confusion as to who laid what... [​IMG]

9. wilmothfarms

May 3, 2010
    Cecilia Kentucky
    Quote:I was thinking that too....but it ended up being a double yolker....and then I was getting a little larger than standard size "large" chicken egg. Do you think that would be normal for a duck starting out with her first eggs? She is right at 6 mo old which would be right at her time to start laying. Also LeRoy and Lucy have been mating the last month...so leads me to believe that I should have been or be getting eggs now or soon.

10. wilmothfarms

May 3, 2010
    Cecilia Kentucky
    Quote:Thanks, that would be awesome...and yes..would be AWESOME! My Cornish Cross, I only have one, she literally goes to the screen door on my coop before she lays in the nesting box, sings her little egg song which is very short and loud, jumps in the box for a few seconds, pops out her egg, runs to the screen door and yells to the house to tell me she laid it and back out of the coop she runs and into the yard again! She has been laying for a month now and has done it every day since laying! It cracks me up! This bird has more personality than any bird I have!! So I guess she kinda does "bring me her eggs" in a way! No doubt when she started laying and which egg was hers! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by