OH MY GAWD! I cant believe what I just saw!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by wbruder17, Jul 7, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Ok, so I hatched a little roo from my Brown Leghorn and late Polish Roo. Raptor, the leghorn, was Bobbleheads "go to girl" and only 2 eggs hatched that I set from several of my chickens. The eggs were Raptor and Bobbleheads love children.

The chicks are now about 2 months ols, still littluns. Frankenstein, the mini roo started crowing a pathetic crow a few weeks ago (very early I think).

Here's the disturbing part.... I just saw him "with" his MOM! That's the first time I've seen him mate. I would swear he's too young for that. But, of all 20 chickens, he picks HIS MOTHER for his first time??? After he was done, she chased him off and bit him pretty viciously on the back.... but how ironic is that? I know chickens don't discriminate, but really?

Like father, like son, I guess.

Perhaps I need to change his name to Oedipus Rex. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  2. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Mmmmm. It's very disturbing. I guess that's why only one roo is tolerated per flock in nature - otherwise SERIOUS inbreeding occurs. My roo Sooty was getting it on with his mum...his aunts...so he came to me! He was so young too! I hope Frankenstein casts her eye beyond his mother. YUCK

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I wouldn't impose human limitations on animals. Read up on line breeding -- a widely accepted way to mate related chickens and avoid "inbred" sorts of results.

4. Tamilulu

Tamilulu Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    Capron, Virginia
    Very disturbing! HAHA. I had to rehome two rouen duck drakes because they would rape my toulousse geese. I swear- One held her head down while the other conducted his business. How did they discuss this evil plot? Is it natural for birds to work together to mate?? Weird!! My kids---"they're raping the goose again!" SIGH

5. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    i agree with above statement. humans see this a whole lot different than birds/any animals do... your telling me that when you all hatch your eggs out of bators and add chickens youve hatched from your flock you dont see them doing this? no it is not a good idea to keep breeding back to the moms or sisters/aunts whatever but it is done. everyday. on MOST decent sized chicken farms.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Nothing unusual there. We're talking chickens here and line breeding is an acceptable way to keep the program going.

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Wait until your roosters start dominating each other, now that's disturbing [​IMG]

8. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I am totally aware that inbreeding occurs naturally with many animals and is done constantly for many reasons. I'm not a breeding facility anyway. I only hatched those guys because I had to get rid of the roo and he was one of my favorites, so I wanted to keep his legacy alive.

I appreciate all of the factual info as I'm sure many do! The post was more a joke than a concern on the "incest" thing.

9. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Thats funny! Ready for something REALLY super disturbing?? Charley, my former young rooster, tried to mate his DAD, Jasper!!!! I had to give him away, but he was such a character!!

10. BackyardBirds720

BackyardBirds720 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2008
    North Central Florida
    Correct me if I am wrong... but chickens (as do dogs) are hierarchical animals. When they are mounting one another they are not always mating - but sometimes simply showing dominance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by