Oh my god! My babies are LAYING?!?!?!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenWisperer, Mar 15, 2009.

1. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    My baby pullets from Ideal are only now hitting the 5 month mark, and they are LAYING? One of them HAS to be! They are the classic "pullet" egg - About half the size of a regular one.......the only one of my girls I think could've done this is Holly (speckled sussex), and one of my EEs, Jinx......They have been doing the egg dance!!! And it was laid in the last nesting box were none of the adults lay!!! There were two eggs - one was still warm! They are pretty much the same color, as well.....

Is this even possible?! They are so young! But then again, I've never had hatchery chicks before these guys.....

2. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    My first silkie layed at about that same age. I have had the extra-extra-small pullet eggs people mention, some as small as a robin's egg from my Old English bantams, but hers was a full-sized, perfectly proportioned egg. Neat![​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  3. deenamr

deenamr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2008
    Central Oregon
    Yeah!!! Congratulations. My girls started around 5 months also.

4. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    5 months sounds right to me... is it really so early?

I believe the average ages are 20-26 weeks. I thinnk your girls are right on.

I posted a thread about this earlier and people said they've gotten eggs as early as 15.5 weeks, 16, 17 weeks.

5. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Quote:A few of my chicks from ideal have started really young too, before the 5 month mark, both bantam EE's [​IMG] exciting isn't it [​IMG]

6. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Well, my last pullets that were completely home-grown (came from an amish farm) didnt start laying until about 6 or 7 months!!!

Thanks for all the relpies. I dont know, this has just amazed me to no end!!! And Im so proud of my little girls!!! I think I'll fix them some hot oatmeal and give to them a little later.

deenamr - Thanks!

Chickenaddict - Yes, it is really really exciting! What color are your EEs eggs, btw?

7. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    5 months sounds right to me! Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by