Oh. My. God. omg. OMG! Cockroach!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chicken Fruit, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    I need moral support!

I'm in the far north. Closer to Canada than NYC in NY state. Cockroaches aren't something we hear about or deal with like they do in the cities or in the south. In fact in the 16 years I've been here I've never encountered them- not even in the filthy rentals I had to help clean or the various derelict homes I showed as a realtor. It's just not common. Carpenter ants, heck yeah. But roaches and termites. Not so much.

I bought chicks, as usual, through the mail. Came with half of them dead. The box was in the house for about 30-40 minutes and then on the covered porch for a day and then burned, dead babies and all.

That was half a week ago.

As I was sitting here working on a website I noticed what I thought was a paint chip from my flaky painted desk. Oh no. NO! It was not! It was a female oriental cockroach!

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!

We just bought this house! We did a FULL remodel. Took out all the floors, redid the walls, redid the baths and kitchen- even ran electric wires. Even the whole basement. We saw NO sighs of ANY bugs AT ALL the whole time. No droppings, no egg casings, no dead bodies, no shed skins... not even a spider. Okay maybe a couple spiders. But certainly nothing indicating cockroaches.

My husband and I were beating our brains trying to account for this most unwelcome house guest. And it dawned on us- they're a huge HUGE problem (according to google) in the south west- where the chicks came from. What could possibly be a better roach environment than a hatchery? Humid. Warm. All sorts of food items. And a cardboard box full of warm, pooing, humid, little chicks? Sounds like a fun ride for a roach...right?

Oh my lord. My house is not pristine, we have pets and children, but its clean! It's not even cluttered.

Please someone tell me I'm not a revolting failure as a housewife and SAHM.... oh God....

omgomgomgomg

2. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    It's okay guys. I made myself feel better. Turns out they're warm climate/tropical bugs. They can't survive up here. That's why that one, which they told me was immature, was dying. *shew!*

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] As a fledgling from Florida, cockroaches don't bother me. A word to the wise: Cockroaches have been around for a very long, long time, and they plan to be around long after the human race has obliterated itself. They can adapt and thrive in extreme environment. Get a professional to evaluate your home.

4. GFamily

GFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2013
    Texas
    Ok, this just totally made me not want to eat my breakfast this morning. I dislike cochroaches VERY very, did I say, VERY much! I live in Texas and we get them here. UGH YUCK! Fortunately, my husband and I haven't seen any in our new house. However, I hate cochroaches so much that when I was a teenager my Mother left to go visit her mother in Louisiana. She was to be gone a month or two. I saw a huge cochroach crawling in the middle of the kitchen. Screaming and doing a *little dance* I grabbed a 5 gallon painters bucket (we were remodeling) and put it over the top of the chochroach in the middle of the kitchen. That 5 gallon painters bucket stayed there with this goliath of a cochroach underneath it for over a month until my mother returned.....yep and it was STILL ALIVE! So, I feel for you!!!!

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Cockroach zombie! AHHHHHH!

6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Trade you fleas for roaches.How about carpenter ants or ticks,lol? A little bait should take care of any that might survive.

7. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    OK well roaches are so bad here in florida even people with OCD say "oh well..just a roach" and shrug LOLOL
    I still don't get calling them palmetto bugs..yeah right! they are roaches! dreading summer here again...they fly in all the time and takeup residence. Have pest control in once a month to no avail. Fleas are resistant to everything available. My poor dogs and cats scratched all winter long and we have had a few freezesthis year. I have given up on all the flea meds (including ones from the vet) and I am looking for a natural flea treatment if any exists.

8. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Have to add more (sorry I can't help it) A few years ago Mom and I were staying with a friend in tampa and we were both in Mom's room on the computer with our 2 jack russells Rosie and Tilly. I see a huge roach on the wall and scream for mom to kill it..well it was too high up for her to reach so she throws one of her new sneakers up on the wall to knock it down...Rosie grabs her sneaker and is "killing it" Pandemonium sets in. Moms finally gets her new shoe away from Rosie..Tilly is barking like a maniac..mom throws the shoe against the wall again and finally the roach drops to the floor..Mom is dancing in place and I am crawled up against the corner of the wall and bed holding a blanket up in front of me.....Tilly Grabs the roach while Mom is trying once again to save her new shoe from Rosie..Tilly jumps onto to my bed with the roach and is "killing it" on my bed [​IMG] There are bits of legs and guts flying all over that place and I am screaming.."Guts!! Roach Guts! Legs! Roach legs! Mom Help! she is screaming "Rosie!! stop! give me back my shoe! .......need I say we stayed up later than expected washing bedding? when we move now no matter how new the boxes they get unpacked outside and do not enter the house LOL

9. GFamily

GFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2013
    Texas
    EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

10. Whenever I lived in Sherman, Tx one of my good friends there had 4 sisters ( 4 to 16) and a mom that used to be a drug addict and their house was covered with 'em! The worst part was whenever I poured some cereal and 2 roaches came out into my bowl! I'm not that afraid of bugs, but whenever you barely bump the wall and 15 crawl out from behind the painting, you pour some cereal and some come out, You wake up to one on your leg, and You can't even feed your cat due to the roaches getting it first!? I just can't take it! It's sad because they've tried for Years to get rid of them, but it always fails! It's just a filthy living environment too. I feel so bad for them. It sad too because they have pretty much learned to " live " with the roaches! I pray for her and her family everyday hoping they're not on the streets! :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by