Oh my God, someone help me!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jessiduck, Jan 2, 2013.

1. jessiduck

jessiduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    New York
    I just went out to do my regular coop cleaning and I saw a huge nest from one of my girl ducks.
    I stupidly raked out the nest and found 3 still very warm, duck eggs.
    She's been sitting on the nest for about 3 days now. I've been crying for the past hour because I'm worried now that
    she won't go back into the coop and sit on them! It's a whopping 30-something degrees here, and I know the eggs are well cold by now. I'm so upset. I put fresh hay and a mixture of the dirty/feathery hay she had them laid on and put the eggs ontop of that hay and left them infront of the coop door. So far, she hasn't sat back on them :(.Will she go back on the eggs? I feel like a duckling murderer [​IMG].
    Someone please help me :'( </3

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Don't beat yourself up, mistakes happen and you never meant to hurt anything.

Put the nest and eggs back in it's previous location and condition, or as close to the same as possible, then leave it alone. That is all you can do. Just getting cold may not hurt them, but she has to go back on them tonight or you will have to get/build an incubator fast! Three days is not enough time for the babies to have developed enough to feel distress, so they will not suffer if they stop developing.

3. jessiduck

jessiduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    New York
    Thank you so much, Wisher! Your comment and advice has put me at peace<3

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I wouldn't be too concerned. Had she been setting on the nest all of the time, like 24/7? Put things back where they were. Ducks need to leave the nest at least once a day when broody to eat and poop. If she is truly broody, I think she'd go back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by