OH MY GOOD GRACIOUS!!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by newchickowner, Dec 17, 2007.

1. newchickowner

newchickowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Texas
    I just saw a huge Coyote in the middle of my back pasture eye-balling my chickens!!!!! [​IMG] My b/f happened to be home on his lunch hour and immediately went to get his gun, but as he was passing the livingroom window he looked out and it was gone!!!! I know we have a HUGE pack around here, but I hadn't seen any of them during the day........until now! Guess we're going to have to take defensive action on my place. (with the help of the neighbors!!!!) [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    I'm gonna stroke if I ever find a critter in my yard like some of ya'll post...coyotes, skunks, opossums, hawks, lions and tigers and bears, oh my!!!!!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I hear them at night around my place and sometimes they will set the roosters to crowing, but I've never seen them. I hope they stay away. I hope the dogs are enough to deter them.

4. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Same thing happened to me a week ago. Broad daylight. He was a healthy looking critter, too. We don't own a gun, but that didn't stop my visions of a coyote rug in the living room!

They are so fast and so quiet that the peeps never realized they were in danger. I have since learned from a neighbor that he spotted one a month ago. And you never have just ONE coyote...

Neighbors are blaming my chickens for it coming into our neighborhood (not in a mean way). But another lady in the next subdivision has more chickens than we do. I reminded our neighbors that coyotes will eat a cat or small dog as easy as a chicken, and to watch their own pets!

5. newchickowner

Aug 19, 2007
    Texas
    I have two Great Pyrnees puppies, but there are in a paddock with my donkey and can't get in the back of the pasture. I'm sure that's why the Coyote wasn't at my house attacking my chickens who were obliviously scratching around on the ground just under my livingroom window! Ever since the neighbor's had a goat die, the Coyotes have been much more brave about coming near. They actually drug the goats carcass onto my back pasture to eat it. I think that's when they realized that my big dogs can't get to them. I can't turn them out though cause I don't want them to wander beyond my property line and I haven't had the finances to replace my fence with no-climb horse wire!!!

I know the Coyote's have to eat to, but they can just find their dinner elsewhere.

I hope I don't have anymore sightings, but I've already hopped in my truck and run them off my property in the middle of the night before just a few weeks ago. So I don't think my dogs and our activity here hasn't detered them enough. I've thought about letting my donkey loose back there, but she's an orphan I saved and only a year old, and I KNOW there is a HUGE pack. I'm afraid even an aggressive donkey may be no match for a pack of Coyotes, and this one was very healthy, so I can imagine the rest are too.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Dang!!!
    When my DS was maybe 9 and he was out back. I looked out the door and he goes, Look at the dog, Mom, I wonder who's it is...Wasn't a dog though, it was a wellfed looking coyote. He just sat and watched us until we went back inside...
    We have Red Foxes too...no bears, lion or tigers, thank the Gods...

7. newchickowner

Aug 19, 2007
    Texas
    That's how this Coyote looked at my chickens! My b/f told me not to wonder into the pasture like I'm prone to do. I'm always checking out my property for whatever. I have small children too so it's really worrying me. My neighbor had her cat attacked in the early evening, her little dogs and my Aussie scared it off and the cat got away without a scratch, just covered in Coyote saliva!

But recently it was all really put in perspective when I took my female Pyr pup in to be spayed and while I was there a woman came in with her weenie dog that was just attacked at 10am right off her back porch as she was sitting in her rocking chair!!!! When she jumped up and screamed the Coyote dropped the dog and took off. It must not have seen her on the porch when it attacked. I found out a few days later from the Vet that her dog made it, but he's been getting a large number of these attacks on pets. The woman only lives a few miles from me, so I think it's the same pack.

8. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    Dang, that's awful. As much as I hate it, if it gets one of my chickens, it has to go.

9. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    They're hard to get rid of.

Mom had them bad in her area. Then an industrious family found out that a hunting preserve would pay $ for live coyotes to train hunting dogs with. After seeing what the coyotes do to pets, and how quickly they become a serious problem, I can't feel sorry for them being run to death to train hounds.
    And thinning the population has made Mom feel a lot safer. At one time their were so many that Mom didn't even want adults hiking around the woods in the area. That's a sad state of affairs.

So be REALLY careful NewChickOwner. I know they are wild animals we've moved in on, and I know they have a right to hunt. But I also know they are pests as much as rats and mice, only bigger and more dangerous. Ya gotta be careful!

10. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

I just shot at 2 in my front yard yesterday morning...... [​IMG] I figured they would show up after all this ice,
    food is hard to find for them........good thing mine have all been cooped up since ice started.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by