Oh my goodness.....Now what!??!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Agnella, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Agnella

Agnella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    I have successfully treated my 8 BO hens (17 weeks old) for cocci. No one displayed any symptoms for the disease except for the bloody droppings....no lethargy or strange behavior.

Now I'm noticing one girl is gaping (is that what it's called when they open their beaks and stretch their necks?) and shaking her head. I tried to open her beak to have a look inside....wow that is hard to convince a chicken to let you do....and don't see anything abnormal. But then again, I've never looked inside a chickens mouth before. I didn't see anything gross looking [​IMG] She also sneezed on me and I got sprayed with a clear liquid.

In addition to that, I've seen some rice-looking particles in some droppings so I'm assuming there are worms in some or all of my girlies.

I need advice on how long to wait to treat them for anything after completing a round of Corid. Also, what would you treat for and with what? Should I worm them first (I have Wazine) or treat for the girl with sniffles and head shaking first. What would I use for that?

Does anyone have any tips on how to look in a chickens mouth? My girls kept shaking their heads and making it very difficult.

Thank you!

2. Agnella

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    I decided to give the girls a round of Wazine this morning.

Hope I'm doing the right thing.

*Edited for spelling

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  3. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I would say that your girls may have worms. hoe big are the "rice" in their droppings? About looking in the mouths... I hold my hens lightly by the neck, then gently open their beaks. No harm done to the chickies! [​IMG]

4. Agnella

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    Thanks ChickLover!

The rice pieces are about half the size of a long grain of rice and kinda clear looking. I only see them in a few of the droppings...not all. Some droppings have been very melted chocolate-like in appearance as well.

5. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    Rice looking particles are usually indicative of tapeworms. Be sure your wormer will take care of tapeworms. I don't know about the wazine, but I know that Ivermectin does not take care of tapeworms.

6. Agnella

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    From what I understand, Wazine doesn't get rid of tapeworms...just roundworms. But I've read that it's good to use a 'light' wormer first to avoid a buildup of dead worms so I thought I'd do this just in case there are other worms in there. I will get a wormer that works on tapeworms but I think I'll wait a week to use it. I don't think it would be good to keep throwing all these meds at them. First Corid, now Wazine, next.....?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by