Oh my goodness (Silkie Broody Surprise) NEW PICS pg.6

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BellLisamo, Feb 18, 2009.

1. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    I found my bantam silkie hen!! I thought she had gotten out!! She was being broody!! I found her in the perfect hiding place in our coop! My daughter spotted her, and low and behold 2 BABY chicks! Not only are they hatched, she has about 4 to go. AND duck eggs shes been hoarding! Here she is sitting....
    [​IMG]
    She was definately telling to stay away with her low deep tone clucking. But i took pics anyway.
    Any tips on what to do? I gave her starter feed and water for the 2 little ones. Should i take them from her? Omg i am super excited. This is a first!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2009
  2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    That's so cute! As long as there is water and chick starter close by they should all be fine. Just make sure your other chickens don't pick on the babies. Have fun with them!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    and you didn't have to go through a 21 day agony!!! Congrats!!!

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Leave her alone and let her raise them. Great fun!! And she`ll do a better job than you.

5. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    This is nuts! I never would have guessed! Will the chicks be ok? The weather gets to the 30's at night, there was frost all over the ground today. She has water and food close by, and i dropped some hay there for her. Now what? I will just fall head over heels if she hatches the duck eggs. HAHHAA. Will she sit til they ALL hatch??

6. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    it is hard to say if she will stay with thelm i hope so bantams are great for hatching leave thelm with her she can do better at takeing care of thelm than we could ever think of. But if you can watch her closely and have a bator on hand you may want to get it ready for the duck eggs if not just hope for the best with thelm. Good luck [​IMG]

7. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    oh thank you for your help guys! ill keep checking on her once a day. poor thing, her face in that pic look horrible!

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

That is so cute!

9. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Awe how sweet. I cant wait till mine starts hoarding eggs. [​IMG]

10. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    i had NO IDEA! until today!! its like a very very special surprise present. Her chicks are soooo SMALL! one fits in my 3 year old hand! They came out of itty bitty eggs, bantie babies are adoreable. One is yellow, the other had brown and yellow. I cant wait til she hatches them all and i can take pics!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by