Oh my goodness- we're getting a GP puppy

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by AKsmama, Jan 31, 2011.

1. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Well, it looks like we'll be picking up a Great Pyrenees puppy this weekend! My dad, who lives in another town about 60 miles away, sent me a text picture this weekend of these cute Pyr puppies. I immediately called him when I got it b/c my DH and I had briefly discussed getting an LGD and a Pyr is what I wanted. Turns out their neighbors' son's neighbor (who lives on the next street over) has a couple of pups available and is giving them away. They're not registered, but I don't care about that. They are purebred, which is what I care about as far as having an LGD breed. My plan is to train her to guard the chickens, then perhaps later we can get some sheep or goats. Where we live, any livestock needs protection. I know some LGDs never take to birds, and that's ok, we'll deal with that. If nothing else she will guard us and the house. I definitely want to train her to be a working dog- like a family farm dog. I've been doing research on Pyrs and know that they are intelligent, independent (or stubborn, lol), bark a lot at night, need a fenced in area/perimeter, don't like to be messed with while they eat, take a long time to train, need to be brushed, have double dewclaws, are large dogs, etc. I know my work is cut out for me, but I am willing to try my best. My husband hates dogs, but he is willing to have a Pyr since they typically aren't as excitable and attention-seeking as most dogs. My dad has seen the pups and says they are friendly, but don't run up to you like most other puppies do, which sounds good to me- maybe they will have the watchfulness/aloofness that a Pyr needs. I am excited and a bit scared b/c I know it's a lot of hard work.

2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Sounds great! Of course there will be pics, right?

3. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    You are so lucky! I have wanted a GP for years, but we have 4 dogs now, so I won't be getting one any time soon. [​IMG]

4. GreatPyrLover

GreatPyrLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC
    You will be very happy!!!! They are wonderful dogs!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Quote:Absolutely! Thanks everyone! I am sure I will frequently be asking for advice. I really, really want to do this right.

6. OHhappychicks

OHhappychicks Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    Quote:Your gp is gorgeous!!! We are looking for another one. We had a golden/pyrenees mix. Was the best dog we ever had! Lost him in mar. Hit by a car. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by