1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"Oh my goodness!!! You're very bad chickies!!!"

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by max13077, Jun 7, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

It’s hot here today, 90+ with a dew point of around 70. Nasty, sticky, yucky,(fill in your own adjective). I was sitting in the pen with my chickens cause there’s a nice big pine tree shading their run and pen. It was a little cooler, but not much. I was having a conversations with them when I noticed a bunch of them taking dirt baths by the north end of the fence. Then I did a double take! They’d dug almost completely under the fence! It’s buried almost 10 inches deep, or was I should say. “Bad Chickies!!”

So whatta do? Well I buried the fence back and got my tools. I drove in a 1”X1” to serve as a corner then screwed a couple pieces of wafer-board to it making a 90 degree angle along the edge of the fence. Then I got my shovel and dug a deep hole in and around it and in it, then sifted the soil so they’d have some nice dusty dirt to take baths with.

OMG, they LOVE IT!!! 18 hens in a 3’x3’ hole!!! Priceless!!!

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    You are such a softie! I'd love to see a picture of that.

3. pixiechick

pixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Jonesborough, TN
    You did exactly what I would do.[​IMG]

4. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

How many times do you buy a kid an expensive toy, and they play with the box it came in? Happened here!!!

I spent almost an hour in the sweltering heat filling in the hole they dug, making this thing, digging out the new hole, sifting the dirt back, and what!!! They play with the leftover dirt!!

Final project
    [​IMG]

“Wow!! This is a lot more fun than that nice sifted dirt over there.”
    [​IMG]

Yeah, why go over there!?
    [​IMG]

5. debbyluvschickens

debbyluvschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    OH your chickens are soooo pretty!!!!!

6. Linda in San Diego