"Oh my goodness!!! You're very bad chickies!!!"

max13077

Songster
12 Years
Feb 3, 2008
Fingerlakes Upstate, NY
It’s hot here today, 90+ with a dew point of around 70. Nasty, sticky, yucky,(fill in your own adjective). I was sitting in the pen with my chickens cause there’s a nice big pine tree shading their run and pen. It was a little cooler, but not much. I was having a conversations with them when I noticed a bunch of them taking dirt baths by the north end of the fence. Then I did a double take! They’d dug almost completely under the fence! It’s buried almost 10 inches deep, or was I should say. “Bad Chickies!!”

So whatta do? Well I buried the fence back and got my tools. I drove in a 1”X1” to serve as a corner then screwed a couple pieces of wafer-board to it making a 90 degree angle along the edge of the fence. Then I got my shovel and dug a deep hole in and around it and in it, then sifted the soil so they’d have some nice dusty dirt to take baths with.

OMG, they LOVE IT!!! 18 hens in a 3’x3’ hole!!! Priceless!!!

You did exactly what I would do.
smile.png

How many times do you buy a kid an expensive toy, and they play with the box it came in? Happened here!!!

I spent almost an hour in the sweltering heat filling in the hole they dug, making this thing, digging out the new hole, sifting the dirt back, and what!!! They play with the leftover dirt!!

Final project
100_6394.jpg

“Wow!! This is a lot more fun than that nice sifted dirt over there.”
100_6390.jpg

Yeah, why go over there!?
100_6399.jpg

Back
Top Bottom