Oh my goodness!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ccoomber, Nov 9, 2009.

1. ccoomber

ccoomber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2009
    Redhill, UK
    I have two bantam chicks, a buff sussex and a buff rock, both of which are 2 weeks old and the buff sussex chick has a red comb already!! [​IMG] I guess i can rule out that this chick will be a pullet then!? I'm gutted as really wanted a sussex hen!

Can someone tell me how wonderful the plymouth rock hen's are do i don't feel so disappointed that my sussex is a roo! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  2. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Pics?

Is it just pink, or real red?

3. ccoomber

Aug 22, 2009
    Redhill, UK
    Can't take pics tonight as lighting is bad, but compared to my rock chick it's comb is red! It also has been feathering up alot slower than the Rock chick, which has alot of feathers!

4. ccoomber

Aug 22, 2009
    Redhill, UK
    Here we go:

He's the one more central in the pic and is only 2 a bit weeks, but as you can see the plymouth rock chick (left corner) has no pick in its comb at all! I convinced its gonna be a roo! [​IMG] I haven't hatched a sussex chick before but the other chicks i've had haven't had pick combs at all until 5 ish weeks or more!

[​IMG]

Another pic:

[​IMG]

Oh well another roo to find a home for!

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Maybe its the lighting but I'm not seeing any red in the comb? Also, from what can be seen in this pic, the other chick doesn't look like a Plymouth Rock chick....

6. ccoomber

Aug 22, 2009
    Redhill, UK
    The lighting is bad, how about these pics. First one is the buff sussex (with the pink comb) and the 2nd the buff rock (for comparison):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As to breeds I'm going by what was written on the egg, which said buff rock bantam on one and buff sussex bantam on the other.
    Here's the one i thought was the buff rock, does she look like a Plymouth rock??

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  7. HEChicken

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    That chick doesn't look like any Barred Rock I've ever seen. By comparison, here is a pic of my Partridge Rock....
    First pic is when she had just arrived as a day old chick:
    [​IMG]

Then again at almost 4 weeks old:
    [​IMG]

Edited typo...

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  8. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I believe we are talking about Buff Rock not Plymouth Barred Rock. I say it is too early to tell on gender since they are different breeds, their comb may more pink/red in one breed than the other sooner.

9. HEChicken

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:Oh silly me - I saw a 'B' and a 'Rock' LOL. Yes, that chick DOES look like a Buff chick!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by