Oh my gosh! I might have gotten a squat!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Patoot, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Patoot

Patoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    I watched the "squat video" posted on another post linked to youtube. One girl (my fav) was following me around as usual, but when I bent down and put my hand over her to pat her, she squatted instead of running away. I was amazed I could pick her up. She squatted down and was still. Didn't even try to get away. I'm not 100% sure, but after seeing the video, I'm pretty darn sure. I'm gonna see, but I think she squatted!!!!

Bree

2. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Congrats! Looks like you'll be having eggs in a week or so!!!

Larry

3. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Finish the job by wagging the raised tail (she will hunker down further) and let go. A brisk full body shake and shell be on her way.

4. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Omlets are in your future.

5. MakNugget

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Quote:I'm still in the "Fried Egg" stage.

6. cyrixlord

cyrixlord Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Monroe, wa
    lol, Sometimes, while they're squatting they'll stamp their feet a bit to get lower as you pat their back. You know you're a pat pro when they 'shake it off' after you're finished [​IMG]

7. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I sometimes scratch both sides right behind the thighs and they assume the position. I checked all my new batch early on this way with the hopes it means 'they're all female.' Ahhhhhh.... [​IMG]

8. Patoot

Patoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    I tried again this morning, but she moved away. They had just come out though and everyone was around her. I'll try again later and see if I get a similar response.

Bree

9. MakNugget

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Quote:She may not be as willing as others initially. My third girl only started squatting this week and still has her deflector shields up at 50%. They seem to be more responsive in the afternoon vs first thing in the morning (can't blame them [​IMG] ). It's quite the scene since #2 gets quite jealous and starts pecking if any other hen starts the squat before her, so in our defense I have to get her with my other hand [​IMG] simultaneously. aye aye aye...

10. Sandy16

Sandy16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Atlanta
    Congrats on "the squat"! You'll have eggs soon! 4/6 of our hens are laying and #5 just squatted for me yesterday. I'm excited to get her first egg too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by