1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Oh my gosh, is this a Totenko rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by coffeekittie, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Hello everyone!

I haven't posted much, but I love this site. The amount of information and help is amazing.

I have a rooster I bought at auction recently (sort of accidentally...) and have been looking up his description online. The two birds that are the closest are the Phoenix and the Totemko. My boy has the olive green legs, the looser feathers,and is QUITE talkative. He/I are battling an eye infection he has, which seems to slowly be getting better, so yes, I know his left eye isn't right. I am open to suggestions about that as well, but am currently treating it. Also, in the stress of the auction, multiple rides in vehicles, and attempting to catch him for his eye treatments, he's lost some tail feathers. Yes, I feel bad about all this. :(

Here's some pictures:
    [​IMG]

He's messing about in some rabbit straw, dust bathing here.

[​IMG]

Walking away from me, feeling uncooperative (I asked him to get up).

[​IMG]

Not an attractive pose, but I'm not a chicken-whisperer :(

[​IMG]

Ok, great pose, bad lighting. Sigh.

Anybody want to weigh in?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks like a phoenix

3. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    x2

btw he is gorgeous

4. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it :) Yes, he's a pretty bird....and knows it! He's the best rooster I've ever had in the way he coddles and finds treats for his hens.

Parker

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    or he could very well be a totenko rooster

6. Thank you everyone for your responses :)

From what I read, the two look just about identical, but for their legs, which need to be slate colored in the Phoenix and olive in the Tetenko (I'm embarrassed that I spelled it wrong), their tails, which are "open" in the Phoenix and "closed" in the Totenko, and their crow, long in the Totenko.

So, more questions to help me figure this boy out, if you all don't mind. What is open vs. closed in a tail, and what is a "long crower"? My boy has olive-colored legs, and his tail feathers are separated, for what that's worth.

Thanks again,

Parker

7. ChickenExtreme

ChickenExtreme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Definitely a Totenko Rooster [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by