Oh my gosh, one of my 9 week old cockerels started crowing today

pkw

Songster
9 Years
May 14, 2010
North Edwards, CA
I wasn't expecting any of my cockerels to start crowing for maybe another 2 months or so and this morning one of my cockerels was just crowing up a storm. Being that he just started crowing he sounded like he was being strangled.

Last night my daughter and I was cleaning up the chicken house and changing the pine shavings. I am in the chicken house pretty throughout the day so I know that none of the cockerels had started crowing yet. Well I have some cockerels that have started trying to mate with the pullets.

Only one of the cockerels have red wattles and comb. The others that I suspect of being cockerels has big pink wattles and combs.

Isn't 9 weeks pretty young to be crowing? I was thinking they started around 16 weeks or so.

I've got one that will be 9 wks tomorrow and he started crowing this morning also. So now we are looking for a new home QUICK! Can't have a Roo in our neighborhood. I have suspected we had a roo but was waiting for the egg/crowing to be sure.

I don't know when they are supposed to crow, but I have a 7 month old RIR, and He still doesn't, thank God. I am Illegal in the city but bought a place in the country and almost done with my coop, so I hope he waits. He is also not trying to get with my girls either.

Some of my bantam Cochins have been pretty precocious in the crowing department. I don't remember exactly how old he was, but I had one that was still in the brooder when he started - maybe 3 weeks? At that age, it sounded somewhere between a giggle and a squeal, really silly! If he hadn't been standing on his tiptoes and stretching his neck up, I would have thought something was wrong with him.

Quote:
That is so funny
lau.gif
I would have loved to have heard that.

My older chicks are new hampshires. I bought them from a local breeder and do I ever have bad luck in picking chicks. I had bought 25chicks: 13 easter eggers and 12 new hampshires when they was all week old chicks. One of the easter eggers died because they were piling on each other so that left 12. Well, then about a month ago when they were all 5 weeks old, I had enough of the easter eggers and new hampshires fighting with each other so I got rid of the easter eggers. There was 11 cockerels and 1 pullet.

Now with the new hampshires I have 6 cockerels (1 big red comb and red wattles, the other 5 has medium to large pink combs and red wattles but the wattles aren't as big on these suspected cockerels as the one with the big red comb and wattles). The other 6 are pullets.

Back
Top Bottom