Oh my gosh..so glad that's over..

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by crocodile girl, Jan 6, 2008.

1. crocodile girl

crocodile girl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2008
    I just woke up from a much-needed nap...Here's what happened:

One of my venomous snakes, an Oxyuranus microlepidotus, needed some first aid. For those of you who aren't familiar with Oxyuranus microlepidotus, it's commonly known as the Inland Taipan, or Fierce Snake. It's venom is the most toxic of any other snake.

The poor thing had to have a little antibotic ointment applied to some wounds, as it was injured by an inept intern at the lab. The boss actually gave it to me (that's how our research animals usually end up, becuase there's limited space at the lab), but sent the wrong person to get it. I love getting the animals we work with as my very own...but geez, why would you send an intern to get it?

Inexperienced people seem to like to use tongs on venomous snakes, and while I agree that tongs have their place, for me that place is moving cage furniture. It's too easy to injure the snake. Which is what happened.

I got the snake home, and realized that the only way to stop those wounds from getting infected would be to apply some antibiotic ointment to them (I actually used neosporin).
    But that meant coming into physical contact with a venomous snake..I did it, but it wasn't easy. I love snakes, but as a herpetologist, I am so aware of what a single mistake could mean for a person..I've seen people get bitten before.

My heart was pounding, my palms were sweaty, my mind was racing. What if the snake got the tube off her head? what if my grip wasn't strong enough and the animal turned and was able to reach my hands?

Well, I got it done, put the snake in her new home, locked the cage, collapsed on my bed and passed out.

On a brighter note, any name ideas? It's a female snake, and she's real pretty so I want a nice girly name for her.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  2. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    You are so totally my hero. I am feeling faint and woozy just reading about it. Thank God He made people like you to care for those critters, cuz I certainly could not. You deserve some wonderful treat for yourself. (insert fainting smilie)

3. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    Ms. Venomous?

4. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    You should name her Ursula. When will we get pics of the little beauty?

5. crocodile girl

Jan 5, 2008
    You should name her Ursula. When will we get pics of the little beauty?

Ursula it is! lol. You probably won't get pics, I don't like handling hots ("hot" is a term we use for venomous snakes) unless I absolutely have to. My hot cages are tinted so it's nearly impossible to get a good pic.

If you want to see what her species looks like, here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Fierce_Snake-Oxyuranus_microlepidotus.jpg

wikipedia's got a decent article on them too. Not great, but decent. Here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fierce_Snake

You are so totally my hero. I am feeling faint and woozy just reading about it. Thank God He made people like you to care for those critters, cuz I certainly could not. You deserve some wonderful treat for yourself. (insert fainting smilie)

Thank you! I am now enjoying a nice hot cup of cocoa. lol​

6. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Oh my Jeebies, that is so awesome! I LOOOOVE LOVE snakes! I have 5 corn snakes. Nothing like a Fierce Snake, that's for sure,lol. I also have a Bearded Dragon. What other herps do you own? Its always fun to meet others like me.

7. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I'd name her Cruella

8. SugarLandChickenMan

SugarLandChickenMan Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2007
    I'm still waiting to hear a story where Crocodile girl will wrestle a shark... with lasers...! [​IMG]

9. crocodile girl

Jan 5, 2008
    I'm still waiting to hear a story where Crocodile girl will wrestle a shark... with lasers...!

[​IMG]

LOL yeah, right after I save the city from an evil scientist with a sheep-powered raygun.[​IMG]

Oh my Jeebies, that is so awesome! I LOOOOVE LOVE snakes! I have 5 corn snakes. Nothing like a Fierce Snake, that's for sure,lol. I also have a Bearded Dragon. What other herps do you own? Its always fun to meet others like me.

Corn snakes huh? excellent choice. My first snake was a corn I recieved when I was 16. She's still with me today, alive and well. And she's still my favorite. She's got a nice little aquarium stand in my bedroom, and a glass tank complete with bioactive substrate and live plants. I spoil her rotten, lol.​

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  10. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Yep! I got my first when I was 16 too, but that was only last year,lol. I love mine. They are all spoiled rotten. What morph is she? I have 4 Normals and 1 Amel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by