I just woke up from a much-needed nap...Here's what happened: One of my venomous snakes, an Oxyuranus microlepidotus, needed some first aid. For those of you who aren't familiar with Oxyuranus microlepidotus, it's commonly known as the Inland Taipan, or Fierce Snake. It's venom is the most toxic of any other snake. The poor thing had to have a little antibotic ointment applied to some wounds, as it was injured by an inept intern at the lab. The boss actually gave it to me (that's how our research animals usually end up, becuase there's limited space at the lab), but sent the wrong person to get it. I love getting the animals we work with as my very own...but geez, why would you send an intern to get it? Inexperienced people seem to like to use tongs on venomous snakes, and while I agree that tongs have their place, for me that place is moving cage furniture. It's too easy to injure the snake. Which is what happened. I got the snake home, and realized that the only way to stop those wounds from getting infected would be to apply some antibiotic ointment to them (I actually used neosporin). But that meant coming into physical contact with a venomous snake..I did it, but it wasn't easy. I love snakes, but as a herpetologist, I am so aware of what a single mistake could mean for a person..I've seen people get bitten before. My heart was pounding, my palms were sweaty, my mind was racing. What if the snake got the tube off her head? what if my grip wasn't strong enough and the animal turned and was able to reach my hands? Well, I got it done, put the snake in her new home, locked the cage, collapsed on my bed and passed out. On a brighter note, any name ideas? It's a female snake, and she's real pretty so I want a nice girly name for her.