1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

OH MY GOSH!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Thebossbaby, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Thebossbaby

Thebossbaby Chirping

Jun 19, 2017
    Guys, so today is day 18. Lockdown day. I locked them down this morning. I've been gone all day. I just got home and I hear chirping, is that ok? I mean I thought that was like day 20-21 when they chirp. And also one has peaped the shell just a little bit

ButteCA and True Patriot like this.
  2. Thebossbaby

Thebossbaby Chirping

Jun 19, 2017
    IMG_1315.JPG

True Patriot likes this.
  3. Olivekat07

Olivekat07 Songster

Dec 10, 2017
    Tennessee
    That’s normal, sometimes they chirp on day 17, it perfectly normal,
    And it’s ok for them to pip, they will fully hatch on maybe the end of day 20

4. Thebossbaby

Thebossbaby Chirping

Jun 19, 2017
    So he won't hatch today? Can I help him get out?

True Patriot likes this.
  5. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Don’t help. The pip looks fine. It may take 24 hours before it hatches. Patience and just enjoy the show.

Are you positive of the day count? Your temps may be a little high if they are hatching this early. But it should be fine.

Chickassan and True Patriot like this.
  6. Thebossbaby

Thebossbaby Chirping

Jun 19, 2017
    100 percent possative. 2 hatched this morning and now others are piping. Quick question. Every time chicks hatch the humidity raises. Like it started at 64 and now it's 75. How do I cut this down if I can't open it up? I tried opening it and blowing a blow dryer with hot air. It kept the temp at 100 the whole time but the humidity dropped to like 40. So I had to put more in it. Then the second chick hatched and now it's doing the same thing. Help?

WVduckchick likes this.
  7. ButteCA

ButteCA Songster

Apr 12, 2018
    When mine hatch the temperature and humidity are always up and down I just leave them all in there until I’m sure all of the ones that are going to hatch have hatched. I know it’s hard not to open the incubator and help but just because they have pipped the shell does not necessarily mean they are ready. Just have patience.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  8. ButteCA

ButteCA Songster

Apr 12, 2018
    So exciting!

9. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Congrats! It’s perfectly normal for the temp and humidity to appear to rise a little. You have wet babies in there, kinda like adding a sponge to bump humidity up. It’ll go back down on its own as they dry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: